[AZ-Observing] A Cheap, Nice Case for Your C9.25 SCT

  • From: "Kimball Corson" <kandj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 02:24:50 -0700

Sorry.  Muffed the attachment.

To Do It Yourselfers with C-9.25 SCT's and No Case:

Being unwilling to fork over the $349.95 + $29 for shipping required for =
a nice JMI case (which is really designed for the C11) and being unable =
to find one used and in good condition at a reasonable price, I was in a =
quandary and did not know what I was going to do for a case.

By happenstance, I stumbled upon a casing solution for my C9.25.   =
Ambling around in Target, looking for other things, I came upon an Igloo =
Ultra 70 ice chest.  Having memorized the dimensions of the C9.25 and =
the chest looking appropriate, I went to the tool section of the store, =
got a measuring tape and confirmed my suspicions. I bought the ice =
chest.  I then went to Popular Outfitters and purchased two very large =
gray foam sheets, one, one inch think, the other, two inches thick.  =
Taking everything home, I placed the scope with dovetail down into the =
cooler to gauge prospective sizing and fit. It was excellent. I removed =
the petcock and will plug the hole left by some means. I then cut a two =
inch piece for the bottom; cut four one inch pieces for the front side, =
the two side sides and for the top, all to fit, using scissors =
carefully. Lastly, I cut two two inch blocks to go on either side of the =
rear or handle end of the scope, leaving clearance for the visual back =
mount, the handle and the focusing knob.  I used Tac It Neoprene spray =
upholstery contact adhesive I had left over from making my eyepiece case =
to glue all foam pads in place, except for the two inch blocks at the =
end which I just slide in and out manually, to make it easier to remove =
the scope by its handle from its otherwise snug fit in the case.

The project turned out very nicely, really looks good and works well.  =
The hinged ice chest with handles ran $34 or so and I paid a bit more =
than $17 for the foam sheets. The approach is definitely gentle on the =
purse and yields a nice result. See picture attached.

Kimball Corson

-- Type: image/jpeg
-- File: C9.25Case.JPG