[AZ-Observing] 5 Mile Meadow, prescribed burns, and other useful info.....

  • From: "Thad Robosson" <starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:47:03 -0700

Hey All,
Well, just got off the phone with a couple different Ranger Stations, and what
I've learned appears favorable given the circumstances.  The one I was worried
about, the Apache Maid/Stoneman Lake burn, there really isn't much info on.
However, I did learn of a much larger one (2500 acres) that has been going on 8
miles south of Happy Jack on/around FR81, which is S/SW of our site by a few
miles.  The one nice ranger I talked to knew the area and said the smoke in
general is subsiding ("The only thing blocking the sun is the clouds").  He
even added that the winds "generally" turn to the SW at night, and any leftover
smoke "should" drain into the West Clear Creek basin.  Given our site is higer,
we "should" be OK.  He didn't know about the Apache Maid burn (different ranger
district that is not currently available), but said that any smoke from that
also should drain down into Brady Canyon, given favorable wind
conditions....Our mileage may vary, but at least we've got hope.

Tidbit of Trivial info....the official name of 5 Mile Meadow is "Buck Butte
Meadow".  The guy knew exactly where I was talking about.

Also, he did say that we could save a good bit of time and even more mileage by
getting off of I-17 at exit 306 aka Stoneman Lake Road, aka FR213.  Follow it
around the South side of what's left of Stoneman Lake (we may catch a glimpse
of a pocket of water he sez, "don't bother bringing the boat along"...) and
continue on FR213 until you get to Lake Mary Road.  About five miles after
turning onto Lake Mary Road, look for the Ranger Station.  1/4 mile south of
that, there's turnoff (a right, headed West) for FR305, which he says is better
than FR229 and shorter, and best of all, takes us to the same junction where
the meadow is.  He added that around Stoneman Lake there is about 8 miles of
washboardy roads, but was very confident sounding that this is the best route
in terms of time and mileage despite this.  Any thoughts on this Steve Coe?

I did ask about coming in the "back" way on FR229 (from FR213), and he did say
not to bother, that road is nasty.

Hope I've helped, and may we all get a star filled, cloud, smoke, and dew free
weekend.
Thad