[AZ-Observing] Re: 1006 Supernova Petroglyph in White Tank Mtns.

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 13:56:07 -0400

Frank Kraljic wrote:
> If I'm correct, the remnant of the 1054 supernova is today's Crab nebula, so
> if the supernova of 1006 was brighter than the aforementioned event, what
> remnant is associated with this one?

The remnant of SN1006 pales compared to the Crab.  I think that the simplistic
reason is that SN1054 was a Type II event, involving a huge progenitor star.
The slowly declining light curve of SN1006 constructed from Chinese
observations suggests a Type I supernova, in which much less mass was expelled.
 Likewise for Tycho's and Kepler's Stars (SN1572 and 1604), in which there's
not much left of their remnants.

Tom