[AZ-Observing] Re: 1006 Supernova Petroglyph in White Tank Mtns.

  • From: gene lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 11:02:07 -0700

Joe,
You raise some important points of discussion, no doubt.  I think we
need to read Dr. Berentine's AAS paper before drawing any further
conclusions, and also perhaps visit the petroglyph site(s) to see for
ourselves.  Of course I am inclined to believe in the >possibility< of
such an interpretation, but I agree with your insistence on proceeding
with caution.  Ultimately, it may never be possible to "prove"
scientifically such an assertion.

There are additional photographs of the White Tanks petroglyphs
reproduced in a web article from the  New Scientist magazine:
http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn9273-native-americans-recorded-supernova-explosion.html

Unfortunately, all of the news releases about Dr. Berentine's paper that
are available on the internet merely regurgitate the same story, without
adding any more information.  Since the AAS meeting just occurred, I
don't believe Berentine's full paper is available yet.

Dr. Gene Krupp of Griffith Observatory (a respected authority an
archeoastronomy) made much the same points with Jim Vail and myself,
regarding our photos and sketches of a petroglyph site in central
Arizona, which we believe >may< represent the Crab Nebula SNe.  (See
George DeLange's web pages for photos and more information on the "Big
Deer" site petroglyphs):

Gene Lucas
(17250)

Joe Orman wrote:

>Excuse me for being Mr. Skeptical, but the evidence (at least as presented in
>the Arizona Republic article) that this petroglyph represents a supernova is
>not convincing and doesn't warrant such wide publicity.  I've studied and
>written about rock art and archaeoastronomy, and one point I always try to
>make is that we shouldn't assume ancient people saw things the way our modern
>culture does ... and context is everything.

[other importatnt points snipped, to avoid being net-nannied!  -- GAL]