<USS Avalon> "There"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:55:40 -0800 (PST)

There
By Senior Lieutenant Elissabeth Marksbury
and Junior Lieutenant James Monroe

There wasn't a response from her at her office. Nor was there a response when
James hit the chime at her quarters. He checked with the computer, wondering if
she could be at the holodeck, and was surprised to find out she was in sickbay
instead. He got worried out of instinct. He knew she could take care of
herself, but instinct won over.

Entering sickbay, he quickly located Lissi next to another woman he couldn't
make out at the distance he was at. Getting a little closer, he was surprised
to see Commander Skyler. "Hey.. what's wrong with Commander Skyler?"

Lissi turned at the familiar voice. Sighing, she said, "I don't know. She
just... passed out right in front of me." Though, to anyone else, Lissi looked
as calm as ever, James knew her well enough to detect the hint of strain around
her eyes showing she was tired and the firm set to her mouth that indicated her
emotional distress.

"I came looking for ya... I got worried," James was already by her side, "How
long has she been... out?"

She offered him a weak smile at his concern. "A few hours..." Turning back to
Skyler, she reached for her hand and gently patted it once again. "Dr. Cazook
said there's nothing that can be done for now - just wait for her to wake up.
Like what happened to me," she whispered.

"Let's get you out of here," James gave a reassuring smile. He was wondering in
the back of his head exactly what Lissi meant by that last comment. "Hey," he
noticed her attention was drawn to Skyler's condition, "Wanna go?"

"No...I'm fine. Someone should be here... it's really confusing waking up after
something like this."

"Like.. what?" James perked an eyebrow.

"You remember," she said quietly. "The same thing happened to me not long after
we met. I passed out in the corridor and woke up in sickbay. It was really
confusing waking up. And maybe... maybe if someone familiar is here when she
wakes up then she won't forget everything like I did." James had to strain to
hear her, she spoke so quietly.

"I?m sure she'll be fine. But it's late. You need rest, and you still have
duties tomorrow." Taking her hand gently, "Come on. I'll walk ya back."

"You don't understand, do you?" Sighing, she said, "I'm fine, really. Not even
that tired. Besides, I've pulled all nighters before. This is important,
James."

James just smiled. She was clearly pushing him away, "Come on, Liss. Let's go.
She'll be fine. I'm sure Cazook will inform you of Skyler's condition once it
improves. For now, you need to get some rest. Something to eat if you haven't."

Closing her eyes for a moment to take a breath, she told him, "James, I am
fine. Please, you're making me angry."

"Let's go Lissi. You're not helping by just sitting here. What benefit could
you possible be of by sitting here?" James asked flatly.

"I already told you. To be here when she wakes up."

It was incredibly obvious to him that she was tired and not thinking quite
clearly, especially being worried about Skyler. "And as I said, Cazook will
inform you when Skyler's condition changes. That, and when she wakes up, I?m
sure Cazook will make the call. Now let's go."

"Did you not just hear a word I said? I find it amazing that you choose to
ignore every word that comes out of mouth sometimes." Her voice showed her
irritation with him, becoming a degree colder.

"Likewise, Lissi."

She stood and faced him, pulling herself as tall as her 5'4" frame would allow.
James had a good seven inches on her and she was forced to look up at him. "You
are infuriating sometimes. Why can't you just leave me here and stop arguing
with me?"

"Why can't you just accept that you're no use here until," James pointed at
Skyler, "she's awake? What are you going to do? Pet her to consciousness? I'm
just trying to make you feel better." James lowered his voice, frown lines in
place.

She squeezed her eyes shut tightly, willing away any tears that she felt
forming. James, missing nothing, wrapped her into a tight hug.

"Come on Lissi, don't be difficult. You're tired, physically and emotionally.
Let's just go. We can always come back."

She conceded and gave Skyler one more look before leaving with James' arm
wrapped firmly around her shoulders. He escorted her back toward her quarters.

The walk was quiet. But James wanted to make it light and comfortable instead
of having Skyler's condition loom on them both. "So how long have you known
Skyler?"

"Several months," she answered absently, her mind still back in sickbay with
her friend.

"She a very close friend?" It was obvious Lissi cared for the woman. But it was
the only question he could come up with for the time being. The turbolift was
moving, though it seemed to go slower than usual.

Looking up at him with large green eyes, she explained, "She made the life I
have right now possible. If it weren't for Skyler, I'd still be living in a war
ravaged univer - " Lissi cut her words off immediately, not believing what she
had just said.

"War ravaged?" James perked an eyebrow. She slipped about something, he knew.
"You mean the Dominion War? Oh, that's understandable. And I'm glad she pulled
you out of that."

Lissi swallowed and said nothing, staring at the door of the turbolift, willing
it to bear them to their destination. Stupid, stupid girl, she admonished
herself silently.

They got out of the lift, "So Skyler is that close to you. That's great. We
have one for our poker game." James winced a little. It wasn't tonight, but it
was planned. And he knew Lissi was going to disagree with this in a few moments.

"What in the hell are you talking about? What poker game and ... why are you
talking about this now?" They arrived at her quarters and she opened the door.
James invited himself in, having decided he wasn't going to leave her alone
tonight.

"First, don?t worry about the poker game. I slipped. Second, did you eat?
Third, when did you eat? Fourth, after you eat, get to bed."

"First, if you wanna give me orders, get a better rank. Second, I ate lunch.
Third, I'm not hungry. And fourth, I couldn't sleep right now if you hit me
over the head. So tell me what poker game you're talking about."

"First, I?m not ordering you about. I?m merely being assertive so you'll do
this and feel slightly better by tomorrow. Second, you really should eat
something... light, at least. And again, forget about the poker game."

Giving him a deadpan look, she said, "You are not on my list of favourite
people right now. You're not gonna shut up until I eat something, are you? And
I think tea should count as a meal." Her sense of humor finally seemed to be
waking up a bit.

"Nope.. and tea.. with crackers, or bread. Or biscuits." James smiled folding
his arms, looking at her with a twinkle of humor in his eyes.. though they
seemed set on determination to make sure Lissi was going to do what he wanted
for her.

"Whatever," she told him, moving to the couch and taking up her usual corner
perch, resting her head against the back. Sighing in tiredness, she told him,
"At this point, James, I really don't care."

"Well then, I'll care for you." Monroe went over to the replicator and got her
a cup of tea and accompanying it were crackers. Taking the small tray it was
set on, Monroe placed it on the coffee table. "By all means, don't jump at the
sight of it."

"James, do you know anyone named Melanie?  I was just thinking of some things
that Skyler said right before she passed out.  And she mentioned the name
Melanie.  The only Melanie I remember hearing is Lt. Redgrave over in
Forensics.  I don't want to go prying into anything... but if I could help
somehow..."

Sitting down next to her, James pulled her close, "I don't know, but let's
concentrate on it in the morning, okay?  You're tired, Liss.  Just try and
relax for a few minutes."

"But what if I can think of a way to help her?"

"So, what are you gonna do?  Wake everyone up just to ask questions?  The
doctors are taking care of Skyler.  Why can't you let this go?"

"Because she didn't let me go, that's why.  I was stubborn and difficult and
she never gave up on me."

"Stubborn and difficult on...?" James gave her a look that meant, 'you just
threw me off.'

"Coming on board the Avalon.  I thought it best to stay where I was and she
disagreed with me until she wore me down.  And I'm very thankful for it."  She
rested her head against James' chest, eyes beginning to droop a bit.  It was so
comfortable.

"Oh," James' hands combed through her hair. "Well, if you wanna stay with her,
then go. But," he looked at her, "you're gonna eat something."

"Mmm-hmm," Lissi agreed sleepily, cuddling into him further and beginning to
doze.

James made a low chuckle. She didn't even notice until she was looking up at
him that she was lying down on the bed. He flashed a bigger smile, "So,
couldn't sleep if I hit you over the head, huh?  Seems like you wanna sleep.
Badly."

Giving him a sleepy grin, she admitted, "More tired than I thought."  Lissi
reached for him and asked, "Stay with me tonight?"

"Sure." Moving to her side, he slipped his arm around her waist, pulling her
closer.

"James?" she murmured.

"Hmm?"

It was a long time before she answered, with her sleep hazy mind, but she
whispered, "Thank you," before falling into a deep sleep.