<USS Avalon> "Secert Visit"

  • From: EnsnSaraCrusher@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 00:10:42 EST

"Secert Visit"
By: Lt. FC. Melanie Redgrave

The only lights on in the room were from a lamp that sat on the end table
next to the couch, and the fish tank that took up the long window ledge. Soft
piano music played as background noise, as Melanie sat stretched out on her
couch. It was late but she couldnât sleep and Melanie hated just laying in
bed
when she couldnât sleep, so sheâd padded barefoot into the living room and
picked up her copy of Oliver Twist. She wasnât sure why sheâd picked that
book
 out of all her Dickens books but it somehow seemed to fit her mood. She
figured  it had something to do with an old saying her father had about no
matter
what  you were going through there were people out there going through worse.

At the end of the novel Melanie knew there would be a happy ending. She
wondered as she read, if sheâd be given a happy ending.

Melanie continued reading, making it several chapters in, before she felt
herself dozing off. Her body began to relax and her mind began to clear. Her
body felt heavy and fuzzy and she was just about to fall into a complete sleep.

Melanie

The voice had been as clear as a church bell on Easter Sunday in her  mind.
Melanie sat up quickly, expecting to see someone standing above her. There  was
no one there. She got up from the couch carefully and looked around her
quarters. There was no one there. She walked back over to her couch and flopped

down. She looked into the fish tank and watched her angel fish swimming around.
 âPlease tell me youâve learned to talk and you just said my name,
Charlie.â
 Charlie didnât answer. âI didnât think so. That means it was in my
head.â

Melanie leaned forward, elbows on her thighs, head in her hands and sighed.
The voice was female, the voice was familiar, the voice sounded pained.
Melanie  took a deep breath. âWhy would she be calling out to me?â She
asked aloud.
She  figured there was only one way to find out. âComputer, where is
Commander Skyler  and is she available?â

âCommander Skyler is in sick bay.â

There was no actual thought involved. Melanie simply got up off her couch
and headed out the door in her bare feet, white tank top, and cream colored
draw
 string pajama bottoms. She made it all the way to the doors of sick bay
before  she stopped. Melanie suddenly realized that Skyler probably wouldnât
want
her  there.

Standing in front of the door, Melanie debated if she had the right to go  in
there or if she should just go back to her quarters. She stood there a good
ten minutes before she decided that wither or not Skyler liked it, she was her
 sister and Melanie cared about her. Melanie walked into sick bay quietly,
looked  around, and quickly spotted Georgiaâs bent form sleeping in a chair
next
to  Skylerâs bed.

Melanie made her way over to Skylerâs bed. The older woman looked kind of
peaceful laying there. After checking the monitors and readouts above
Skylerâs
bed, and looking over the padd on the end of her bed, Melanie frowned. Skyler
had passed out hours ago and hadnât come around yet. Ignoring the cold floor
beneath her bare feet, Melanie moved from the foot of Skylerâs bed to her
head.  She brushed hair from Skylerâs face and marveled at how much her
sister
looked  like their mother.

~Iâm so sorry, Skyler.~ Melanie thought. ~This is my fault, I did this to
you. I never meant to hurt you in any kind of way. Please wake up.~

Melanie stood at Skylerâs bed side for a while longer. Without realizing it
she even started to sing âYou are my Sunshineâ softly as she pulled the
blankets  up around Skylerâs chest, just like Skyler had for her when she was
baby.

After a while, she looked around for another blanket. This one she draped
over Georgia before dropping a kiss on the older womanâs head. Turning back
Skyler, Melanie trailed her finger tips down Skylerâs hand. âPlease be ok,
Skyler.â

Melanie headed back to her quarters without another word. She tried to read
more of her book but her mind wouldnât focus. Several hours later Melanie
finally dozed off on her couch.