<USS Avalon> Theories and Conspiracies

  • From: Kenneth Nichols <brottorungart@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Avalon <avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:14:52 -0800 (PST)

Theories and Conspiracies

By Ensign Kevin Stephens and Ensign Nikkole Archer

No one seemed to have a good explanation for the existence of the chronometric
particles on the Avalon.  His superiors had blown smoke up his ass.  Their
hurried explanation was that it was the normal effect of space travel.  Some
one had even tried to blame it on the unusual four-nacelle configuration.  He
held both these theories to be red herrings. Even if there might be something
to the four-nacelle explanation, it wasn't the whole truth.

Kevin picked a table near the entrance to ten forward. He placed his PADD on
the table and slipped his tricorder off his hip and concealed it under the
table.

Nikkole saw Stephens come into ten forward.  He certainly was an odd duck,
always sitting alone, always eating alone, but it never put her off.  She was
the only one in the science department that even bothered talking to him
anymore, considering he gave everyone the brush off.

She picked up her drink and carried it over to his table.  "Hey, Mr. Grumpy
Pants," she smiled, plopping in the chair across from him.

"I'm busy."

"You're always 'busy'.  What'cha doin'?"  Nikkole brushed her blond bangs out
of her eyes, never remembering to get them trimmed.

"You?re not going to go away are you?" Kevin said, still not diverting his
attention from his PADD and tricorder.

"Do I ever?  What - you still trying to figure out why the ship has four
nacelles?  Everyone does it at some point, I?ve heard.  Us science geeks think
it has something to do with 'hush hush' intentional time travel ability.  I've
heard some ensign over in engineering figured out it had something to do with
maintaining maximum warp speeds longer because of coolant stuff."  She rolled
her eyes and said, "Engineering freaks."  Taking a drink of the bright blue
liquid in her glass, she said, "Wanna hear my theory?" She didn?t bother
waiting for an answer.  ?I think somebody just decided they looked pretty. No
purpose.  Some yahoo ship builder decided they?d be cool and say ?my design has
more nacelles than yours, I?m a more macho man?.?  She laughed at her own joke,
but Kevin was lost, staring at his tricorder.

"Holy shit!" Kevin dropped his tricorder in his surprise as Lt. Marksbury
walked by his table.

Fumbling her glass at his expletive, Nikkole asked, "What the hell?"

"Since you won't go away," Kevin reached down to pick up his tricorder, ?can
you keep a secret?"

"I can keep a secret as long as it don't involve harming any animals or doing
something that could end my career."

"No one on this ship will give me a good explanation for the existence of
chronometric particles on it. Furthermore, most of the crew has at least a
small chronometrically anomalous signature.  Lt. Marksbury's signature,
however, is off the charts. Take a look."  Kevin punched up the data on his
PADD and spun it around to Archer.

"Okay, and your point is?"

"It is theorized that if you could create enough chronometric particles with
the correct temporal signature, then you could travel to the corresponding
time. The chronometric particles here are probably the result of previous time
travel.  If, however, some one infused this ship with enough chronotons, they
could send this ship out of this time.  Send a ship into the future fifty years
and for the space of those fifty years that ship would effectively cease to
exist.  If some one were doing this slowly to every ship in the fleet... And
for some reason Ms. Marksbury has a lot higher concentration of chronotons than
any one else on this ship."

"So essentially you?re saying it's all a conspiracy to decimate Starfleet by
sending their ships to the future?  A slow influx of particles to make them
disappear?"  She laughed.  "Oh, that's rich!  And I thought I was a conspiracy
theorist."

"I'm only saying it's possible. And like I said, it is probably just that this
ship has previously encountered a temporal anomaly.  The question is then,
what's up with the Lt?"

She shrugged and looked at the readings, "My god," she said with surprise.
"You weren't kidding.  Those are off the charts.  Conspiracy theory or no,
she's had dealings with an anomaly of some sort.  What about the rest of the
crew?"

"Scan through there and you'll see that most of the crew has been affected, but
not every one.  I don't," Kevin scanned her with his tricorder, ?and neither do
you."

"So what'cha gonna do about it, Sherlock?"

"I say we check and see when each group came on board.  We're newbies here.  I
hypothesize that the folks not affected came on board more recently and
haven't, therefore, been affected yet.  Interested in helping?"

"I dunno.  Sounds like something you should just leave alone.  I mean, if it
was a big deal, don't you think the higher ups would be taking care of it?
It's not the place of us lowly ensigns to go snooping where we don't belong."

"Are you willing to risk this ship being thrown years, possibly centuries, into
the future? Everyone you know and love will be old or dead. It is possible,
also, the fate of the entire Federation we?re talking about here. Or it could
just be an interesting learning experience.  If we figure out something we
aren't suppose to without doing anything illegal, we are more likely to get
noticed.  We won't be punished as long as we stick to the regs, and I have so
far."

She shrugged, not really intrigued, but at least the guy was talking to her.
She thought he had delusions of grandeur, but what could it hurt, as long as
they weren't doing anything against regs?  "Okay," she chirped, reaching out
her hand for him to shake.

"Finally, some one believes me," he sighed as he shook her hand. "Let's find a
terminal."