<USS Avalon> "The Price"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:47:07 -0800 (PST)

The Price
By Senior Lieutenant Elissabeth Marksbury and
Junior Lieutenant James Monroe

Being in the Tactical department hadn't worked out too well since his transfer.
Considering the regular check ups on weapons and security drills, Monroe had
nothing to do. It wasn't exactly what he was trained for. Looking at the doors
of the new Covert Ops office, he pressed the chime.

He knew Lissi was the head here, and it would have to take some convincing to
let him transfer. But it was where he could be useful at. What he was trained
for. Pressing the chime, he waited.

Lissi looked up from her console. She'd been working on her training docket for
the refresher courses Sierra had assigned her to conduct. She could probably
get out of the duty now, but she wasn't one to shirk an assignment. And then
she'd know it was done right. She was surprised to have someone at her door.
Most everyone was on leave. "Enter," she said softly, looking up.

James walked in. Looking at her, "Lissi."

She smiled, happy to see him. "I'm not late, am I?" she asked, looking at her
wrist chronometer. "I thought dinner was at 1800.

James smiled, "No, not at all." He gave a moment to himself and then decided to
head straight to his reasons for visiting- aside from seeing her, "Actually I
came by to request a transfer."

She blinked in surprise, her first thought being a request off the Avalon. She
figured he came to see her since she was sort of acting in Sierra's place until
he returned. "That's... a surprise," she said in a near whisper.

"A transfer to your department, Liss. You're the new head of Covert Ops. And
I'm requesting permission to be transferred from Tactical to here."

Her nose crinkled ever so slightly and she tipped her head to the side a bit.
"You what?" Then his words sunk in. "You know I can't do that, James." She
gestured to the seat in front of her.

Monroe took his seat across from her. Leaving all personal feelings out now, he
looked at her, "If I may ask why?"

"Because it's inviting trouble and it's unprofessional. I'm not transferring my
boyfriend under my command." She sighed and shifted in her chair. "It's not a
matter of being or acting professional. That's not something I have a problem
with. It's the repercussions of the act with others."

"And because you know that, you also then know how to split the difference. I?m
asking for transfer not to be close to you, or anything of a sentimental
nature, Lieutenant. I?m asking because I have nothing to do in the Tactical
Department. Past the regular routines, what I was trained for doesn't apply
there. But it definitely applies here."

Her insides bristled with his use of 'Lieutenant', but she showed nothing on
the outside. She looked as calm and passive as ever. "I never accused you of
such, James. I think we're both professional enough to see the difference. That
isn't my concern. My problem is how the rest of my department will perceive it.
I can't have anyone feeling slighted because of our personal lives. I think you
would be an excellent addition to covert ops. But I also don't think it's the
most intelligent choice to make right now, either."

James closed his eyes for a second, "With all due respect, Liss, you're still
not getting it. Our work lives will be separate with our personal life.
Granted, first name basis and such is a given. But really, it's not like I'm
gonna jump just because we're working together. It's about the need to work,
not be close to you.  As for the department, they'll have to handle it, won't
they? You're the department head, if they think I have some sway over you just
because we're involved outside of our work life, they're wrong. I?m just asking
to work where I can be of use."

"I understand that. And I have no doubt as to your professionalism. But I also
won't have any division amongst my ranks, even with perceived slights. It's how
people die out on maneuvers." She looked at him squarely. "My answer is no."

James looked at her. He just nodded, "Alright. That's that. I thought the
department head might be better. But it looks as if I'll have to go higher."

"I don't think you're seeing the big picture here, Mr. Monroe." She still spoke
quietly but with an edge to her words. The fact he practically ignored any of
her reasoning was rather irritating.

"I see it quite well. But I'm not about to sit around and do nothing. If I
can't get some sort of transfer out of Tactical, I'm transferring out of the
Avalon. I can't say here." Monroe got up from his seat, "Permission to leave,
Lieutenant."

"Denied," she said standing. "If you're that persistent, Mr. Monroe, it must
mean something to you." She glanced down for a moment, then steadied her gaze
back on him. "I'll approve your transfer with Ketchum's permission. But I will
not date anyone who's under my command. It's your choice and I've given you
fair warning." Her eyes betrayed her hurt, but she wasn't about to acknowledge
it in any way.

He looked into her eyes, searching to see if Lissi was serious about what she
just said, "I'll take the transfer based on the Captain's approval. Permission
to leave."

She swallowed thickly. "Granted."

http://mail.yahoo.com