<USS Avalon> Springtime on Avalon

  • From: ElRiovtrIdrys@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 01:40:44 EST

"Springtime on Avalon"
by Ensign Mehdi Idrys and Commander Skyler

    Ensign Mehdi Idrys was busy taking inventory in Sickbay when a light
began flashing on a nearby console. He walked over to it and his eyebrows shot
up
expressively as he noticed where this was coming from.

    The brig. ... Someone's been taken there and needs an evaluation.

    That was standard operating procedure, after all. Even when an Officer
was arrested and confined to quarters or placed in a holding cell, he or she
had
a modicum of rights as per Starfleet regulations. And, as a physician, Idrys
knew that each and every person sent to the brig had to be examined as a
matter of course. Otherwise his duty as a doctor would be utterly pointless.

    He grabbed his medkit and headed into the turbolift. "Brig." He stood
there, impatiently, scowling as he wondered what he was going to have to face.
Hopefully not some unruly, belligerent troublemaker that caused yet another
fight in the lounge! I swear, if I have to treat another drunken brawler, I may
have to start drinking myself. Damn but this is not good for my own blood
pressure. ...

    The turbolift doors hissed open and he stepped out. Click. Click. Click.
His boots echoed crisply, almost cavernously, as he made his way out towards
the brig, always the most uncomfortable and loneliest part of the ship. He
entered and spoke to the Officer of the Day.

    "I'm Doctor Mehdi Idrys and was just notified that there is a new
prisoner here?" The OD nodded and gestured towards a holding cell and led the
way.
And then, as he approached the cell, sudden recognition dawned as he saw ...

    Commander Skyler? What in the name of Trill was she doing here? She had
been left in charge of the bridge itself! "Commander?"

    "Yes?"

    "I'm Doctor Idrys and I have to examine you. Are you feeling all right?"

    "Not much the worse for wear. I just wish you could get me out of here. I
belong on the bridge, dammit!"

    Idrys nodded at the OD and the latter let down the forcefield long enough
for him to walk inside the cell before raising it again. He set down his
medkit and began going through the routine of a physical.

    "Honest, aside from maybe a few bruises caused by being manhandled by
those monkeys up there, I'm fine," Skyler said.

    "Be that as it may, just humor the Doctor, all right? Now ... what did
happen up there?"

    "I was minding the bridge when Commander Sierra came up unannounced,
began questioning my right to be there, prodding me as to our directions and he
just generally got pissed off at me. I told him to leave and then he pulled a
phaser on me. Before I could summon any help he had his Security goons there
and
he said I was relieved of duty and he had me sent here. End of story."

    "Interesting."

    "How so?"

    "Well, I may be merely an Ensign, an Assistant Medical Officer, and far
from Command, but I know my way around Starfleet rules and regulations,
Commander Skyler. You've been snookered, plain and simple. Sierra simply
usurped
authority and what he did was illegal as hell."

    "What?"

    "In order for him, as Second Officer, to relieve you or the Commanding
Officer of duty, he would have to do a lot more than simply get pissed at you.
The ship's Chief Medical Officer, as per Starfleet Order 104, Section C, can
relieve either Officer of duty on the grounds that he or she is physically or
mentally unfit to command, and that has to be backed up by a physical exam. No
such evidence exists against you, Commander. I'm getting you out of here."

    He walked to the front of the cell and called the OD over. "Out, please.
And make that the both of us." The OD stared and Idrys said, "Do it. The
Commander has been detained illegally and if you don't let her out now your
butt is
going to be inside this cell instead." The OD paled and pushed the switch,
letting the forcefield drop. Skyler and Idrys exited and headed for the
turbolift.

    "I hope you are feeling better, Commander. Be sure to take a Security
detachment with you. I have to return to Sickbay in order to finish inventory.
And don't forget the unfinished business ... mutiny charges against Mr. Sierra.
Move quickly or the ship is in his hands."

    He vanished into the turbolift, leaving Skyler stunned and wondering
where he could have come from.

    ... to be continued ...

    Ensign Mehdi Idrys
    Assistant Medical Officer, USS Avalon NCC-27926-B

    &

    Commander Skyler
    Executive Officer, USS Avalon NCC-27926-B
    Captain Keith Ketchum, Commanding Officer
    Celestial Prime Alliance Sim group
    Admiral Gem Rhee, Founder / Commander-in-Chief