<USS Avalon> Rule of Acquisition #52: Never Ask When You Can Take

  • From: Anthony Manson <circus_ofde_damned@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Avalon Sim <avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:38:57 -0700 (PDT)

Rule of Acquisition #52: Never Ask When You Can Take

by Lieutenant First Class Alder Shimbrodus

"Where is he?" Torien demanded, her arms crossed as she looked up at Capelan.
Angry, eyes that looked as if it was about to explode in tiny fires.

"He?ll be here, just be patient. Besides, you?ve only been here for five
minutes." Capelan said, he looked around the room. The six other partners whose
faces were as neutral as they came.

"Yeah? Well, for one that is going to run the company he sure has a way to..."

"I have duties, and likewise Torien, I don?t like being interrupted during my
work." Alder cut in as he strode into the room with three padds in his hands.
He, like the others, wore the simple business like attire. A black coat and
pants with matching shoes, a white shirt, and a red tie. Simple.

He plopped the padds down on the table. He looked across Torien whose
expression hadn?t changed aside from being unimpressed. "But since you have so
graciously handed me problems, I too would be annoyed." Referring to the
previous meeting with Torien.

Perking an eyebrow, "yes. The point is well taken," she blew out some air
before continuing, "now then. You?re here. We?re here. The meeting is at
schedule, do you have anything to tell us? Or are you doing us a favor and
stepping down?"

Alder smiled, "well, I am here. And stepping down," he wanted to see the
surprise in Torien?s face, "is exactly what I?m going to do."

Torien gave a mock applause, "well, well. I didn?t think you would come to your
senses, Alder. But look here; you have. Now, I promise- as agreed earlier that
Avtek will do as I said when we talked, the group will remain efficient. And
just so that you?ve done us all a favor, I will have..."

Alder laughed, "whoever said it was going for you, Torien?"

Torien went dark, "what, do, you, mean?" She said slowly.

Alder?s smile went wider, "ohh, so you thought you were the only likely
candidate for the job. You shouldn?t underestimate your rivals, Torien." He
looked at her and the silence in the room said everything. Changes were going
to be made, and it all boiled down to Torien.

"And just exactly who did you have in mind?"

"You were talking to him about me, just now." Torien looked across to Capelan,
her shock was almost priceless, but she quickly recovered from it.

"You can?t take give him your position, he already made it clear he couldn?t do
this."

Alder nodded, "yes, yes he did. But I gave him an offer. And he?s accepted."

He looked around the table filled with the partners of his father had brought
together. This was the moment to shine, to live up to the name sake of his
father, and Alder couldn?t feel any better or prouder for what he was about to
attempt.

"In these padds are documents, contracts really, that will consign the
companies- all the companies- to liquidation. With the exception of the
Shimbrodus Company. You see, those that have gone against the takeover will
have nothing to worry about. But, those that were pushing for it should start
worrying. My father has given me enough information, right here in these padds,
that have made it possible so that my company and whoever of my choosing
survive a fallout. He did this just in case this sort of situation would arise.
Apparently, he was right," he glared at Torien.

"Now then. One of these documents happen to be with Avtek Inc., and I?m sure
you know what it is, Torien."

"Yes, and I suppose you are going to threaten me now?" Torien smirked, "you
really are a fool, you can?t possibly think this is going to work. Look who you
are contending with, these people here have more experience in this type of
business and it?s laws..."

Alder sighed, "yes, they?re all good. So good that they- for no other reason
than lack of common sense- did not bother to look over the contracts their
predecessors before them set forth binding the companies to certain agreements.
One of them happens to be the activities of each company will not entail any
risk to others."

"And this is your bargaining chip? Sounds more like you?re quoting only."

"Did I mention whoever is aware can give up the information to the proper
authorities and they will not be held accountable, even if they are aware of
the fact? Oh, I should have mentioned that earlier," Alder looked around,
"listen, people. I have every company?s activities. Some of you have great
risk, some of you are safe, and some of you- most especially Avtek Inc- can?t
afford to have their secrets out in the air. But in the long run, when all is
said and done, I basically have control. Total and complete.

"You will not have the Shimbrodus company, Torien. In fact, from here on out,
your company?s influence, shares, and most of your activities will be assumed
by the Shimbrodus Company. Furthermore..."

"You can?t do that!"

"I can, and I have. As you see," Alder slid the padd across the table, "if you
don?t agree to the terms on that padd, I will assume control of Avtek, hereby
releasing you of all duties to it. And you know exactly what happens when I do
that, don?t you?"

Torien went dark, "you won?t get away with this. There must be some sort of..."

"There is no compromise. I am acting by the letter of the law, and you Torien,
have nothing to gain from this but concede. If you concede, I will return the
funds and let you assume your position. As for implementing group policy,
you?ll have none of it, along with those that sided with you. Oh, by the way,"
he looked at Torien?s partners, "the same ultimatum is given to you all. I
suggest you weigh in your decisions."

Torien didn?t say anything, but the bajoran from the first meeting spoke up. He
was also on Torien?s side, "I assume there is something on those other padds."

"Yes, as soon as you all agree to the terms," he slid a second padd to the man,
which the others of Torien?s side huddled together to see it, "I will proceed
to the second agenda as I said about me stepping down."

"What makes them so special from Avtek?" Torien asked.

"Easy, they only followed. You on the other hand, went against me. See Torien,
I?m not as obtuse as you assumed." Alder gave a pleasant smiled.

The bajoran looked up, having be caught in the whisperings of the other
partners. Capelan?s side had done nothing, staying seated like him, letting
Alder run the negotiations. "We agree to your terms."

"Good," Alder nodded and gestured for the return of his padd. He looked at it,
"I see all signatures. Capelan, please keep this." He handed the padd to
Capelan who gave a formal nod.

"No problem."

"And you, Torien, what is your decision?"

Torien shot him a hateful look that would have put anyone on uneasiness. But
her intimidating look meant nothing to Alder now. "I agree to the terms," and
slid the padd down the table.

"Good. We reconvene tomorrow."

"Wait," the bajoran said, "you said we will get to the second agenda."

Alder nodded, "you?re right. But I see it fit to have the signatures official
before I proceed. Can?t be too cautious. Now then, this meeting is closed. See
you all tomorrow," without so much as a pin to the floor, "computer, end
transmission."

Alder walked out, his surrounding dissolved, and he saw Anthony outside resting
against the wall, "how did it go?"

Alder smiled, "better than I thought."