<USS Avalon> "Past in Perfect"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 03:39:14 -0800 (PST)

Past in Perfect
By Senior Lieutenant Elissabeth Marksbury

Sitting cross-legged in the middle of the floor, she let herself slip away.
Her respiration was slow and steady, filling her with a feeling of calm and
euphoria all at the same time.  She called up the fondest memory she could to
focus on, pulling herself deeper down and allowing her mind time to settle
itself.

"Here now, Lyryn," the Commodore said softly, turning her around to face him.
"Tears won't solve anything and you know that."

"But...they brought me back.  Just like the rest.  They're gone," she wimpered,
trying her best to choke back the tears and emotion.

"And that's life, Nyen ching-duh, but we live it."

"I don't want to go anymore.  No more parents.  I want to stay here," she said
with a bitter taste in her mouth.  More bitter than any small child had a right
to be.

Commodore Mensano smiled and pulled her onto his lap, wrapping his arms around
her.  "There are people in this world that do not recognise a gem for what it
is worth, Lyryn.  And then there are people who do.  Look for those people,
Nyen ching-duh, those are the people to fill your life with and you know you
have the real thing."

"Nobody wants a girl like me."

"In that, you are very wrong," he said almost angrily.  "I have always treated
you like my own child."

"But you won't keep me either!"  She bit her lip, expecting a blow for her
outburst.

"Do not raise your voice with me, Lyryn Cate."

Lyryn nodded, thankful to have gotten off easy this time.

"There are things you do not understand.  But know this, So'mei, you are very
much wanted."  He pulled her to him tightly and she silently rested in his
embrace.  She could feel his breath on her hair as he rested his cheek against
the top of her head.  She felt his heartbeat and knew in that moment she was
loved by someone.  He held her like that until she fell asleep.

Elissabeth slowly opened her eyes.  It was the most powerful memory she had.
She remembered everything about that day almost twenty years ago in her life.
It was the only time her "father" had gotten close to telling her he loved her.
 Despite the other chilling memories, nothing could taint that one day.

She smiled, now feeling centered and focused.  It was time to begin.  Marksbury
stood and made her way to the security briefing room.