<USS Avalon> "Not Like the Others"

  • From: "Brad Ruder" <groundzero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 14:45:30 -0700

“Not Like the Others”
by Lieutenant Zachary Winters
& Junior Lieutenant Gregory Orton

He glided into the security offices. Walking was such an underestimated considering what he’d just gone through. The smile on his face could have served as a beacon in the night to lost ships. Gregory Orton felt like a million credits in the bank. He didn’t feel the cushion as he fell into the chair and didn’t feel the coldness as his arms settled on the table’s top. Lexie Daros. His mind couldn’t leave her or her intriguing posture and attitude towards him.

“Oh, God, he’s at it again.”

Gregory Orton blinked, “What?”

“What’s her name?

“How do you know these things? I’ve been gone from the security offices for almost a week, meet an interesting girl just twenty minutes ago, and somehow you know about it?” He laughed and ran a hand through his hair, “I just don’t see how you do it.”

Winters smiled at Gregory and slid a chair over to the table and sat down on it, leaning on the back. “I have a special ability that allows me to see all and be involved in all things. Don’t worry, I’m not watching over you all the time – just when I think you may be getting some.”

Tapping a PADD – the day’s duty shifts and goals – Orton sat down at the table opposite of Winters and smirked slightly. Winters was always looking for a girl to satisfy his current desires even though it came off that way to many others. For the most part, as far as Orton was concerned, Winters had a personality and an intellect that rivaled most. “She works in the Forensics Department. She’s gorgeous, smart, intellectual, funny, interesting, gorgeous…”

“You said that already.”

“See! That’s what she does to me! I spent hardly any time with her and I can’t stop thinking about her. I can’t explain the feelings, but they are there.” Orton’s eyes had long since lingered from the PADD to the area and people around him, but his mind had not left her side. “She’s intoxicating, I can’t believe I’ve managed to find someone so perfect.”

Winters’ eyes rolled and he stared Orton down across the table, “I don’t think I can count the number of times that I’ve heard you say that. I don’t have enough fingers or toes to count that high. You should keep a book on the people that you’ve dated and what they meant to you. I think that you hold some Starfleet record.”

“I’ll hurt you.”

“I’ve heard that before.”

“Oh, come on,” Orton started, obviously taken aback, “I haven’t been lovesick in a long, long time. The last time was about a year ago. It was with that redhead from Tarius Prime. During our shore leave after our first mission to the Gamma Quadrant.”

Zack’s jaw dropped, “You liar! What about Marina?”

“You mean the blonde from Science?”

“Yeah, her.”

“What about her?”

Walking across the room to a console, Winters tapped the display and brought up something to make it appear he was working, but in all actuality he wasn’t doing anything of the sort. “Wasn’t she the stalker? You saw her once and then she followed you everywhere you went for weeks afterwards. You had her transferred off the ship during our last shore leave.”

“That was different…”

“How so?”

“OK, so it wasn’t different.”

“See?” Winters nodded with a bigger grin than before, “and what about the one that you fell in love with that turned out to be tricking you all along with a hologram? Hmmm? You would think that one person would get suspicious and realize that all the dates were taking place on the holodeck, but I guess that’s not your case, is it?”

Orton ran a hand through his hair again, it was becoming tiresome to deal with him, “OK, I got your point.”

“Good luck with this one, though.”

“Bite me.”

“Given the sound of this one, I’d rather bite her.”

“Like I said before, I’ll hurt you.”