<USS Avalon> "Maggie's Turn"

  • From: "Melanie Redgrave" <melanieredgrave@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 18:42:47 -0500

"Maggie's Turn"
Vevay Davis, Maggie Stewart, Melanie Redgrave

It had been months since Melanie had felt as if she'd truly slept, not since
before she'd gotten pregnant, but for the third morning in a row she'd awaken
in a good mood and actually feeling good. Had it been simply having someone
hold her? Had it been the feeling of bliss as she'd fallen asleep with Vevay's
arm around her? Or was it just from being warn out making love that had caused
her to sleep peacefully? All of the above. She laughed as she padded around in
the living room. Vevay was in the shower, which she'd have joined her for but
both of them wouldn't be able to fit at the moment, so instead Melanie set
about making tea.

"...the young ones are hungry they're nests are so bare, all it takes is
tuppence from you." She sang softly as she set the kettle on the hob and turned
to the replicator for breakfast. "Feed the birds tuppence a bag, tuppence
tuppence tuppence a bag. Feed the birds that's what she cries..."

"Yes, Mary Poppins," Vevay teased from the doorway, wearing only jeans and a
towel in her hair. "Can I have a teaspoon of sugar with my medicine please?"

Melanie blushed a deep pink and smiled shyly. "Sorry. Didn't realize I was
signing that aloud." She said as she padded over to Vevay and kissed her softly
on her lips. "How was that? Sweet enough?"

"Mm-hmm," Vevay grinned, pulling Mel closer. "Yes ma'am. It's my day off
today," she beamed, kissing Mel again. "I get the whole day to do whatever I
want."

"I've the morning off since I'm only working half days now." Melanie beamed,
suddenly realizing how comfortable she was with Vevay. She never sang in front
of anyone but her mother and Mrs. Cromwell.

"We should do something together," Vevay declared. Then a wicked thought
occurred to her and she kissed Mel again, pulling her slowly back to the
bedroom. "I have an idea..."

Melanie laughed as she allowed herself to be pulled back into the bedroom.
"Would this be another stress reliving session, love? Because I do think my
blood pressure was a tad high again."

"Then we have to make sure you're destressed before work," Vevay giggled,
pulling Mel onto the bed. Laying her lover down, Vevay kissed her deeply, her
hands already dancing over her face and through her hair.

All else was forgotten as Melanie sank blissfully, hopelessly into the kiss and
the warmth of her lover's touch. Even the baby seemed to know not to disturb
them by kicking, jabbing, or her new favorite way of getting attention,
hiccupping. With a blissful moan, Melanie's hands slid over Vevay's breasts and
down her stomach as they made their way towards the button on her lover's jeans.

Tossing her towel to the floor, Vevay shook wet hair around her shoulders and
giggled when Mel was covered in a fine spray. "Ooops," she grinned, a look of
deep mischief on her face.

"Hey!" Melanie laughed as she closed her eyes against the sprinkles. "That's
cold!"

"I could go and get some ice cubes," Vevay suddenly slid from the bed and
backed to the door. "Then you'd know what cold really feels like."

"Not fair!" Melanie giggled as she tried to get up. "I can't move fast enough
to pull you back onto the bed." It took nearly a full five minutes just for her
to get to her feet these days.

"Oh?" Vevay raised her eyebrows. "You want me to come back? Even though I have
cold, wet hair?"

Melanie nodded and then blushed as she said, "But you have such warm wet other
places."

"Do I really?" Swaggering back just inside Mel's arm reach, Vevay waited to be
pulled back. "And what would those be?"

Reaching out Melanie took hold of Vevay's hips and pulled the other woman
towards her. "My favorite places?" She asked, the blush still coloring her face
but her eyes sparkling and her smile bright. She leaned in and placed soft
kisses on Vevay's stomach as she slowly slid her lover's jeans over her hips.

"London?" Vevay asked innocently, even though she was almost groaning with
desire. "Or Auntie Maggie's maybe?"

"Maybe I should show you?" Melanie asked as she reached for the waist band of
Vevay's panties.

Her eyes flickered shut and she let out the groan. "Please..."

Melanie pressed her lips softly to newly exposed flesh as she pushed all
barriers that lay between her and Vevay out of the way.

Vevay's breath caught as she threaded her fingers through Mel's hair. "So
lovely," she whispered.

"Your beautiful." Melanie replied as her eyes looked up and her hands went
lower.

"I'm just me," she replied. "You're wonderful."

"Only because of you." Melanie replied. She was just about to take one of
Vevay's breasts into her mouth when the silence of their room was broken by the
chirp of the comm unit.

"Garrity to Davis. I've got that piece of equipment ready for a test run,
Lieutenant."

Vevay flushed scarlet even though the only person who could actually see her
was Mel. "Um... thanks... um... could you give me ten minutes and I'll come to
collect it?"

"I would like to make sure it works properly before releasing it to you."
Annabelle replied. "See it's not exactly the standard Voyager model. Could you
come meet me in Eng. holodeck three?"

"Yeah, in ten minutes," Vevay insisted. "Give me a bit okay?"

"See you then, Lieutenant."

It had been hard to hold back while Vevay was talking to the young engineer but
once the comm was cut, Melanie started to laugh.

"What's so funny?" Vevay huffed, glaring.

"You turn the prettiest shade of pink when you blush." She told her as she
looked up into her eyes, her arms wrapped around her.

"That was beyond embarrassing," Vevay sighed as she hugged her lover. "But we
have to go."

Melanie smiled as she held back a giggle. "She couldn't see us, love. She
didn't know I was about to do this." She bit her lip as fingers danced.

Vevay shivered, grabbing Mel's hands and pulling them back. "No fair, I told
her ten minutes."

"All I need is seven." Melanie beamed.

"For what?"

"Give me my hands back and I'll show you." Melanie teased.

Huffing, Vevay let them go. "Come on, Mel, we've gotta go."

Melanie pouted as she pushed herself off the bed and onto her feet.

"I'm sorry," Vevay sighed, grabbing the shirt she'd laid out for herself. Not
managing to look at Mel, she said, "I'll go, you stay here and rest."

Waddling up to Vevay, Melanie put her arms around the woman's neck. "I was only
teasing, love." She kissed her softly and smiled. "We were going to spend the
morning together, remember. Besides, I want to be there when Aunt Maggie gets
her emitter if that's ok with you."

"That's what I'd wanted," Vevay admitted, still feeling a little hurt. "Shall
we go, I'll grab her PADD on the way out."

"We can finish what we started when we get back ya know." Melanie told her
softly as she combed her fingers through her soft brown hair. "I'm sorry I
teased you."

Vevay just shrugged as she pulled away. "Guess I'll get used to it."

Melanie frowned. "I won't do it again if it bothers you so."

"I've never been teased like that before," she admitted with another shrug.
"Not without it being malicious or cruel. I know that's not how you meant it,
it's just that's what I expect."

"Vevay, I would never be mean to you." Melanie told her reassuringly. "I was
only trying to make you smile, or to giggle. I like the sound of your giggles
and your laugh."

"Sorry," Vevay sighed heavily. "Not so good at this."

Melanie leaned in and kissed Vevay.

Returning the kiss, Vevay cuddled her lover as tightly as she dared. "I love
you."

"I love you." Melanie replied just before a sharp kick inside thumped against
Vevay's stomach. Melanie laughed. "I think I was suppose to say we love you."

"Love you too, little one," Vevay giggled, placing her hand over where she'd
felt the kick. "Can't wait to meet you."

This was how it was suppose to be. Her excitement, fear, anticipation, and pure
happiness mirrored in her partner's eyes. This felt right. "Then we better go
get Aunt Maggie out of her padd if we're planning on asking her to help us with
this wee poppet."

Taking Mel's hand, she led her out and grabbed the PADD from its home in the
main room. "Lead on, MacDuff," she grinned.

"How do you think she'll react?" Melanie asked as they made their way down to
EH3. "I mean, her knowing she's a hologram and now suddenly she'll be able to
leave the holodeck and her cottage."

"She'll think we're taking the piss at first, then she'll be dead chuffed,"
Vevay beamed.

"And asking her to help with the baby?" Melanie added carefully.

"Um..." Vevay blushed as they walked. "I kinda sorta already asked her."

Melanie bit her lip. "And?"

"And she hit me and told me I was being daft for even having to ask."

Relief washed over Melanie as she laughed. She didn't want just anyone watching
her child. Vevay, her sister, Georgia, but they all had their own duties to
attend to, and Skyler and Georgia had lives of their own. Maggie was going to
be perfect since Melanie already trusted her.

"There you are!" Annabelle called out as she saw Lieutenants Davis and
Redgrave. The dark haired Brit was a bit of a surprise since she'd only be
expecting Lieutenant Davis but once she noticed that the women were holding
hands she smiled brightly and understood. "If you'll come in with me we'll call
up you hologram."

"Thanks, Ensign Garrity," Vevay grinned, handing over the precious PADD. "I
won't lose any data, will I?"

Annabelle shook her head. "We'll back it up of course, but the main matrix and
subroutines will remain in tact in both the padd and in the emitter. We simply
copy what's on your padd to the emitter." She pointed to an average looking
comm badge which sat on the holodecks command island.

"Just so long as I don't lose her. The model would be most put out if she lost
her source of gossip," Vevay grinned.

Melanie nodded her agreement. "She's family."

"I'll be extra careful with her, Ma'am. I promise." Annabelle smiled at the
women and then walked over to the island. She plugged the padd in and copied
the program to the computer. She looked over the code for a few moments and
tapped a few commands in before calling out, "Computer activate "Maggie 1"
hologram."

It took barely a second before the old woman appeared and blinked at the
unusual surroundings. "Hey," she said huffily as she settled miffed eyes on the
unknown woman, "what did you do with my home, quine?"

Annabelle smiled at the clearly elderly Scottish woman. "Nothing Ma'am it's
still in your program. You'll be able to deactivate yourself and return to it
as soon as we have you fitted."

"Hello Maggie." Melanie said with a smile and then turned to look at Vevay.
"Didn't you warn her, love?"

"Um... I sorta forgot that bit," Vevay admitted with a laugh.

"Forgot what bit? Fitting me with what? What's going on?" Finally, Maggie took
a deep breath and turned to Melanie. "Go and find a seat, love, don't want to
be putting undue weight on your pegs at this time in your pregnancy, now do we?"

Melanie laughed. "I think I've gone from pegs to full blown oak logs."

Annabelle smiled and tapped in some commands. A reclineable chair appeared off
to the side of the island so the Lieutenant could watch everything. "There you
are, Ma'am."

"Thank you, Ensign." Melanie returned the smile and sat down as she had been
told. Looking up at Maggie she explained, "Vevay's asked Ensign Garrity here to
help fit you with a mobile emitter, Maggie. You'll be able to exist outside the
holodeck."

"I get to have a poke around on your wee shippy type thingy?" Maggie asked
eagerly.

"Wee shippy type thingy?" Annabelle asked before bursting into laughter. "Oh my
husband would get a kick out of that if he'd understood what it meant." Picking
up the dock that the badge was on and a couple of tools, Annabelle walked over
to the woman. "Once we have this custom set to your holomatrix you'll be able
to go anywhere on or off the ship, Ma'am."

Melanie looked at the comm badge and titled her head. "That doesn't look like
the mobile emitter from Voyager."

"It's not." Annabelle beamed. "My husband," She loved saying that. "Redesigned
and improved it."

"Isn't Voyager's emitter future tech?" The investigating scientist in Melanie
asked.

Annabelle nodded. "All technology can be approved on."

"As long as it doesn't suddenly decide to make me a hairy Klingon or something,
I dinnae care," Maggie told them with a laugh.

Melanie laughed so hard that a little pulsing bubble could be seen poking
through her stomach which only made her laugh more. "Damn she's got the hiccups
now."

Vevay was at Mel's side almost instantly, rubbing her tummy and smiling. "You
okay, love?"

"Make a bonny couple," Maggie mused to Annabelle, "don't they, quine?"

"I'm fine, sweetie." Melanie smiled. "It just feels really really odd to have
something hiccupping inside you is all. That helps though."

Annabelle blinked. She wasn't quiet sure what the woman had said. "Um... Yes?"

"You don't think they look good together?" Maggie stared at the woman because
of her questioning tone.

"Oh is that what you said!" She blurted out and then blushed deeply. "Yes Ma'am
they do make a lovely pair. Though I could have sworn scuttlebutt had the dark
haired Brit from Forensics with the southern kid from security." She shrugged.
"Wouldn't be the first time the scuttlebutt on this ship was wrong."

"Scuttlebutt?" Maggie asked curiously.

Melanie frowned at hearing she'd been part of the rumor mill, though she
shouldn't have been surprised. "Gossip." She answered for the young woman.

"Aye well, gossip keeps the wheels of any society turning and well greased,"
Maggie mused. "But I'll no be a party to anymore rumours about my family."

Melanie smiled shyly at that.

"Well once we get you going Ma'am you'll be able to handle that yourself."
Annabelle smiled as she picked up her tricorder. "I'm going to scan you so I
can put your exact perimeters into the emitter, ok?"

"That's fine, quine, you go right ahead," Maggie said jovially.

Annabelle scanned the holo-woman and then popped open the casing on the badge.
Picking up another tool she used it to sent the emitters internal settings.
When she was finished she closed the casing and took the badge from the dock
and then affixed it to Maggie's blouse. "You might get fuzzy for a second while
your program is moved to the emitter." She warned.

"No as bad as the two day hangover from Hogmanay, I'm sure," Maggie chuckled,
holding still.

"Two day hangover?" Melanie asked with an impish smile.

"Aye. We start celebrating the New Year at about midday on the 30th of December
then stop at about 4am on the 1st. It takes the average Scot about two days to
get over it."

Melanie laughed. "And the average sassanach like me would be out cold by six on
the 30th and sick as a dog until mid-February."

"That's the one!" Maggie laughed loud and deep, tears pricking her eyes.

Annabelle was utterly lost and clueless regarding the conversation so she
continued her coding and then looked up and smiled. "Ok here we go." She
warned. She engaged the emitter and then transferred Maggie's program. The
holo-woman flickered out for a moment and then flickered back in. Annabelle
looked at the woman and blinked before her eyes went wide. The woman had bright
neon pink and blue hair and was about 50 pounds thinner. "Oh my gosh."

"Oh your gosh what?" Maggie asked.

Vevay had to look away. Sucking in her cheeks, she desperately tried not to
laugh.

"Well at least it's no' a hairy Klingon." Melanie snickered. "Computer full
length mirror."

The moment the mirror appeared Maggie let out a screetch then she turned to
glare at the Engineer. "Put me back as I'm meant to look or put me back in the
PADD. I will not spend the rest of my existence look like Mrs Slocombe!"

"Who?" Annabelle asked as she picked up a tool from the island and walked over
to the holo-woman. She popped open the casing again and readjusted the settings.

"Nevermind," Maggie muttered, clearly seething.

Annabelle blushed a deep crimson. "Sorry, I got the settings a little off. It's
fixable." She fine tuned a few things and then closed the casing again. Walking
back over to the island she rebooted the emitter. Maggie flickered once again
but this time when she was solid again she was back to normal.

Staring into the mirror, Maggie sighed with relief. "I had faith in ye all
along," she said confidently.

Still flushed Annabelle looked down at her readouts. "Everything looks good.
Now comes the real test. Are you ready to step out into the real world Ma'am?"

"What happens if it doesn't work?" Melanie asked.

"She simply goes back into her program." Annabelle answered.

Stepping up to the door of the holodeck, Maggie held her breath. Not that she
had real breath, but it made her feel better. "Look out Avalon," she said as
she stepped out and felt the solid deck plating beneath her feet. "Here comes
Maggie!"