<USS Avalon> "Lesson in Protocol"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 20:32:18 -0800 (PST)

Lesson in Protocol
By Senior Lieutenant Elissabeth Marksbury
and Ensign Sussanna Jameson

"Enter," Marksbury said, when the chime on her door rang. She was momentarily
impressed that Fenner had gotten there so quickly. That is, until the door
opened to reveal a tall, platinum haired ensign she had never seen before.
Marksbury stood and asked, "Can I help you?"

Sussanna reached out her hand to the small woman before her and smiled her
broadest, trying to cover the butterflies in her stomach. "Hi, I'm Ensign
Jameson, reporting for duty. Um, or something..." Slipping her PADD from her
belt, she handed it over. "My orders, sir."

Elissabeth blinked. She hadn't been expecting anyone else. Taking the PADD, she
scanned it quickly. Medical/Covert Ops. Jameson must be the person she had
requested. Lissi just hadn't expected them to fulfill the request that quickly.
This mission must have some sort of priority that Command would make sure her
covert ops team was completely rounded. "Welcome to the Avalon, Ensign
Jameson." Lissi tried to give her a genuine smile, but her mind was in at least
three other places.

The woman, what was her name again?, seemed distracted as she scanned
Sussanna's orders and grim when she spoke. The new mission must be something
really important and dangerous to evoke such a response in a seasoned officer.
Trying to remember her officer's rank, she said. "Thank you, Commander."

Marksbury did smile, then. "Lieutenant," she corrected. "I apologize, Ms.
Jameson. You have caught me rather unawares. Please sit." Lissi gestured to the
chair and moved back around her desk, reading Jameson's PADD a little more
thoroughly. "I didn't expect Command to send me a medical expert so quickly."
Nor from Intel. Marksbury shook her head slightly in attempt to truly
concentrate on the here and now. Her mind was still running over possible
explanations for the turbolift and Manson's assault. "But I'm glad to have you
aboard," she added. "How about you tell me something about yourself that I
can't read on here?" She gestured to the PADD.

"Well, sir, I'm from Sydney, Australia and my Dad's a doc there. But that's on
the PADD." Sussanna slipped into the chair and started twiddling her fingers.
This is ridiculous, she told herself sternly, you?re a bloody med expert, a
consultant from a Fleet think tank, why are you so nervous? She isn't going to
bite! "I grew up there, in Sydney, with my parents. It's a nice city, friendly,
but then I'm biased. I've worked with Starfleet Command in a think tank and now
they've sent me here. I work hard, I don't like idiots, and I won't let you
down." Oh the cliches, God help me! "What else can I tell you?"

"How long did you spend in Intel training, Ensign?" Lissi would?ve had to use
the tiny coded flag in Jameson?s orders to access another record to find that
information, but she didn?t have the time.

Sussanna's eyes narrowed and her nervousness evaporated. "Eighteen months,
sir." Down to business then. "Working on pathogens. Interesting work."

"Glad to see that snapped you out of nervous habit," she said gently. "Or is it
an act?" she asked with a small smile.

A grim kind of smile lit Sussanna's face. "Perhaps a little bit of both. I use
it to hide the lies, I'm still learning. You requested a med expert, so how can
I help you, sir?"

Marksbury jerked her eyes up at Jameson?s tone. That would definitely be
something to work on. Lissi had thought at first that the other woman was
undisciplined mentally, but turns out she?s just a good actress. And Marksbury
was pretty sure that last bit of attitude came directly from the real Susanna
Jameson.

"Well, Ms. Jameson," she said coolly, showing no sign of her thoughts across
her face, "you are, of course, assigned to medical until such a time as you are
called upon for your expertise in my field. However, we are to begin a week
long training session tonight. Please get settled in and be in the security
briefing room at 2200 hours. I?m sorry you haven?t had more notice, but we are
on a tight schedule now."

"Yes, sir." Sussanna stood and glared down at the Lieutenant. "2200 it is,
then." She turned on her heel and headed to the door, aware she was already
breeching protocol.

"Ensign." There was a threat in Marksbury's voice.

It stopped Sussanna immediately, and she turned to face Marksbury, who was now
on her feet.

Lissi continued, "I don't know what it is that has you glaring at me and nearly
storming out of my office, but I suggest that you either confront me about it
now or find a new act before this evening." Lissi spoke quietly and it almost
made her words that more ominous.

"Sir?" She folded her arms across her stomach. "I was under the impression that
the interview was over. Is there something else that we need to discuss?"

Elissabeth could hardly believe this woman. "And I was under the impression
that ensigns were still taught protocol, but apparently the Academy has gotten
a bit lax. Therefore, I will give you a crash course." Lissi immediately called
Jameson to attention.

"Sir." This woman, Marksbury, had more balls than she'd thought. This was going
to an interesting assignment, if only she could get past her own attitude, she
thought, as she stared straight ahead. Sussanna's expressionless face showed
nothing of her thoughts as she internally berated herself for being rude. You
bloody stupid, cocky woman. Her salute was crisp and her stance showed nothing
of her previous sarcasm. Let's try that one again, she thought.

"You will show respect to your superior officers at all times, which means you
do not glare at a superior officer. You will not leave a meeting until you are
dismissed. Your behavior is inappropriate and disrespectful." This was the
breaking point for Lissi. After the night and progressively worse day, she was
not going to put up with a surly ensign as well. Though she never raised her
voice, Marksbury?s anger was reflected in her eyes. "You will report for duty
tonight at 2100 hours - an hour early. You will spend that hour
re-familiarizing yourself with Article 89 of the UCMJ." Pausing a moment, she
asked, "Are we on the same page, now, Ensign? Because I can make it even
simpler for you until you achieve comprehension."

"Yes sir! My apologies, sir." Sussanna kept her back straight and her eyes
ahead. She was better at protocol than this, what the hell was wrong with her.

The chime to Marksbury?s office rang once again.

"Very well, Ensign. You are dismissed."

Sussanna made no eye contact with the lieutenant as she span around and passed
through the door. A small ensign stood waiting outside but she ignored him as
beneath her notice and strode down the corridor. Not a great start to her
Starfleet career, but at least she didn't lose it completely. Her stomach
grumbled loudly and she decided that food would be in order. Now if only she
could work out where the dining hall was.