<USS Avalon> "Glitch"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 17:24:49 -0800 (PST)

Glitch
By Senior Lieutenant Elissabeth Marksbury
and Junior Lieutenant Elijah Dareth

Him, she thought. Anthony had said ?him?. It wasn?t much, but it was a start.
At least it was what she had to work with at the moment. That, and the fact she
had a tight time frame for Commander Manson?s whereabouts between when he left
her in the dining hall and when he was found unconscious. She needed to check
Dareth?s witness statements, but she was pretty sure that Manson had headed
straight to the bridge like he said he was going to.

The thoughts of a nap were completely gone. Thankfully the pain reliever she
had received in sickbay was doing its job. Marksbury felt better. She was angry
and frustrated, but she wasn?t in pain. Heading straight to the security
offices, she looked for Lt. Dareth.

He was seated at his desk going over some PADDs.

"Why didn?t you call me immediately? Why did I have to find out that the acting
XO of the ship had been assaulted, by accidentally coming across him in
sickbay?" Her voice was hard and unforgiving and her characteristic calm was
fading as her anger got the better of her.

Dareth was instantly on his feet, straightening his uniform. "I was finishing
the reports for you right now, Lt."

"That didn?t answer my question, Mr. Dareth. I want to know why I wasn?t called
immediately."

"Permission to speak freely, ma?am."

"Speak."

"Because you placed me in charge and it was well within my qualifications to
handle. It was an assault. With all do respect... it was my job. And I did it."
He studied her for a moment and asked with concern, "Are you okay, Lieutenant?"

Marksbury considered Dareth?s words and technically he was right. She was
projecting too much personal emotion into this, that much was obvious.

She nodded once in acceptance of his explanation and chose to ignore his
question. "The reports please."

Elijah handed the PADD off to her, wondering what was wrong. He?d never seen
her like this before, but he stayed silent as she read the report.

"That?s what I thought."

"Ma?am?"

"Thank you, Lt.," she said, turning and moving straight to her office.

She spent the hour and a half following the Commander?s progress down the
corridors from the dining hall to the last turbolift heading to the bridge,
using the security feeds throughout the ship. Everything checked out with her
recollection of events. But here was her glitch.

Manson entered the turbolift alone on deck six. The lift should?ve arrived on
the bridge less than twenty seconds later. It didn?t arrive for nearly three
minutes. She pulled up the logs for the turbolift. They were blank. Of course.
Of all the times for it to malfunction.

Elissabeth leaned back in her chair, trying to decide where to go from there.
The turbolift must?ve stopped on another deck allowing another passenger
onboard. The lift must?ve been halted for two and a half to three minutes,
Manson beaten, the perp exited, and the lift continued to the bridge.

Tracking down the security feeds from decks five through two during that time
frame yielded no results. "That?s not possible," she said aloud, running her
hand through her hair. "There was no one in the lift... no one got on the
lift...it took over two minutes to arrive to its destination... What the hell
is going on here?"

Tapping her combadge, she said, "Marksbury to Ensign Fenner. I need to see you
in my office."

http://mail.yahoo.com