<USS Avalon> "From Behind Locked Doors" --Ensign Kyle Fenner

  • From: "Robert P Lewis" <caldfyr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 04:11:24 -0900

From Behind Locked Doors

By Ensign Kyle Fenner

Der?kur, Sara, and Tracy were midway through their meals when Kyle slid in
beside Tracy.  He smiled in greeting, ?Good morning, everyone!?

After the greetings were complete, Sara leaned across the table.  ?You?re a
little late, Tracy keep you up last night??

Tracy gasped as Der?kur chuckled.  Kyle scratched a burning ear before
answering, ?She was? entertaining.?

For his answer he received an elbow to the ribs.

Sara, grinning, moved on to another subject. ?I hear you?re building ships.?

?Uh-huh, I?ve got a Saber, and I?ve almost finished the Galor I?ll be using
to train it.? Kyle answered as he began mixing his food together.

?Not you too,? groaned Der?kur.

Kyle looked up, ?Me?  What??

Der?kur pointed at the mess forming on Kyle?s plate.  ?That!? he said with
disgust.

?Don?t mind him, Kyle,? said Sara, as she scooped a spoonful of her own
breakfast casserole,? he thinks every food item needs its own distinct
border.?

Kyle looked at Der?kur, then pointed looked at the forkful of egg he was
holding.  ?The left flank is being overrun!?  The fork moved closer to the
gravy covered biscuit.  He swung his head nearer to the spoon and droned ?We
are the egg.  Your nutritional and textural distinctiveness will be added to
our own.?

Sara snorted.  Tracy tried to hide a grin behind a napkin.

?Resistance is futile.?  Kyle?s impassive façade cracked, triggering a
laughing fit from everyone at the table.  When it was over they wiped the
tears from their eyes.

?Why a frigate?? asked Tracy.

Kyle had another mouthful of food before answering, ?I?m a little guy, so I
have a fondness for the little ships.  For me, the Saber is the Little Ship
That Can.?  Everyone nodded as they listened and ate.  ?I am going to put
together at least one more frigate, and possibly a destroyer, and then try
to join a fleet.?

Der?kur, finished with his breakfast, pushed his tray away.  ?You know, I
was thinking about putting together a Sovereign and Nebula.?

Tracy, also finished, brightened at the idea.  ?You know, with that many
ships you could have your own fleet.?  Encouraged by the reactions of her
friends, she continued, ?Why don?t I make, I dunno, a Galaxy!?

Der?kur cheered, ?Heck yeah!  The Avalon Cup is as good as ours!?

Tracy looked pleased that her idea was accepted by everyone.  ?I?ll think of
a fleet name while I?m at work, which is where I?m heading now.?  She turned
to Kyle, ?Will you be home tomorrow morning??

?I really can?t say.  If I am, I?ll look you up.?

Kyle spent the next few hours meticulously constructing his Galor cruiser.

**=A=**

Kyle, freshly showered and dressed, briskly walked towards his doors, and
when they didn?t open, collided with them.

?Fucking hell!?  He swore while keying in his entry code.

?Access Denied.? The computer calmly stated.

?What the hell?  Computer, why is my door not unlocking for me??

?Unknown.?

Kyle tapped his communicator, ?Ensign Fenner to Security.?

?This is Security, go ahead, Ensign,? replied a female voice.

?The door to my quarters has been overridden and isn?t accepting my code,
and the ship cannot give an explanation.  Could you maybe unlock it for me??

?Hmm, not anything in our records? try again, it should work for you.?

Kyle keyed in his entry code and was rewarded by an opening door.  ?It
worked, thanks a ton.?

?No prob, Security out.?

According to his watch, he?d still arrive almost 10 minutes early to the
meeting.  Humming a tune, he went on his way.