<USS Avalon> "Connections - Part 3 - Darkness and Light"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:44:43 -0800 (PST)

Connections - Part 3
Darkness and Light
By Commander Skyler and Senior Lieutenant Elissabeth Marksbury

Alexis Cazook stood at the foot of Commander Skyler's bed with the most recent
set of vitals on a PADD in her hand. Per her usual routine she was staring at
them over the rim of her bifocals instead of reading the PADD. She had ordered
Melanie to her quarters, insisting that she needed her rest and would be of no
use to the commander if she was exhausted as well.

After looking at the vitals and running the tricorder over Skyler, she decided
that perhaps it was time to ease up on the sedation. She had a feeling she knew
part of what was going on, at least the part concerning Marksbury, which made
her somewhat uncomfortable. However, it was her medical decision that the Lt.
was doing the patient more good than anyone, so she trusted her instincts for
once and didn't call Brookman. She may regret it later, but she was the one in
charge of the commander and Marksbury - it was her decision to make. She
grabbed a hypo and injected the commander with some medication to gently ease
her back into awareness. Once she was sure Skyler's vitals would remain steady,
she returned to her office intending to check back later.

*

Walking down the corridor on the way back to her quarters, Elissabeth suddenly
felt Skyler's presence. The feeling was so overwhelming it dropped her to her
knees.

"Lieutenant?" a passing petty officer asked, kneeling down to check on her.

"I'm fine, I'm fine," she stated quietly, slowly standing.

The petty officer looked at her curiously.

"Thank you, Petty Officer..."

"Martin," he finished for her.

"Thank you, Mr. Martin. I appreciate your concern." He nodded and went on his
way.

Marksbury changed her course and headed straight for sickbay, arriving at
Skyler's side in a matter of moments. She was surprised that no one else was
there.

Skyler was still out per se, yet she felt more alert than she had in the past
several hours. Or was it days? She didn't know. The only thing she could really
tell was that it was quiet and dark. There were no voices or pain. The first
time in a long time it seemed. Yet she did feel something - or more like needed
something - and only one person seemed to understand.

Lissi.....Lyryn....where are you? Need your help...... She felt like she was
begging for something, but didn't know what.

"I'm right here," she said, brushing Skyler's hair back from her forehead. "Can
you talk to me like this? Can you hear me?"

Skyler was trying to remain calm, but something was not right. She was reaching
for help, but this time was getting nothing in return. She had thought for sure
that she had the right person. Her heartrate elevated slightly as she became
more agitated. She was going to have to try again, even against the pain that
she might incur.

Lyryn help me......nothing but darkness...no escape.....please, please help. A
single tear started to form and fall from her eye. She felt so alone and
desperate.

I'm here, Lissi told her as she 'mentally' materialised next to Skyler in that
dark place.  It was cold and blank. She reached out and wrapped Skyler's mental
form in a hug, surrounding her with light and warmth. I'm here, she repeated.

Skyler saw her - felt her.  She wasn't alone anymore. Lyryn.....is that you?
Where am I..... What happened? She hesitated before going on, afraid of what
she might learn, but she needed to know. Am I dying......?

No, you're not dying. You're hiding.

Dying....hiding.........there is no difference. If I am dying, then help
me....don't try and save me....just need the truth.........die peacefullly.

Do you want to die? Do you not care about your friends, your family, your job?
You aren't dying - unless you want to.

**V**

Lissi sank onto the stool beside Skyler's bed. Talking to Skyler like this,
actually exhausted her physically.

Don't understand what is going on. Don't want to hurt anyone....you are my
friend - I trust you. Tell me what is happening to me. Why I am like
this?......No control....

Skyler's heart rate started to climb - enough that it set off an alarm in
Cazook's office. She came in to check on Skyler and found her with Lt.
Marksbury. "Lt., are you okay? Do you require more pain medication?"

Lissi's eyes were closed and she nodded yes, clinging to Skyler's hand
physically and mentally. I ... can tell you. Explain. But you might not like
it. Might scare you. Do you want to know? Are you going to face this like the
woman that I know you are? Or are you gonna keep hiding in here?

Alexis wasn't sure if the Lt. was nodding to her or to Skyler, but the vitals
weren't off the wall this time. She quietly slipped out and trusted that
Marksbury knew what she was doing.

**V**

Don't like it here, so explain....I will trust you.

I don't know...everything... yet. I just know that you have a sister you didn't
realise you had. I think you're denying it. Can you remember? Anything at all?

Sister....I have a sister? .......Remember pieces of something....Georgia, a
baby... Why would I deny a sister?...So confused.

Skyler... even I don't have all the answers. I don't know. No one has told me
yet. You need to search your memories. Look for yourself. It may be dark in
there, but I'm here. I'll be your light.... Do you want me to go with you?
Lissi hated to ask the last question, knowing how much it was going to hurt.
But Skyler was her friend and she promised to go the distance.

Skyler fell silent for a moment.......She didn't want to hurt her friend but
she was afraid of not knowing......of dying alone. Lyryn........I can't do it
alone, but I.....don't want to hurt or hurt you....

Lissi was surprised that Skyler knew - or could sense she was hurting her.
Skyler, I'm here for you. Let's go. As she said it, she pictured squeezing for
Skyler's hand and moving towards the darkness in Skyler's mind.

Skyler took a deep breath and latched on to her hand. She started to try and
remember....

**V**

The first placed they materialised was that same clinical looking room Lissi
had been pulled into by Skyler's dreams.

Something about an outpost........there is a black woman............a crib with
a baby in it........another little girl standing next to the
baby..........Sunni......Soliel...........so confused...

Okay, Skyler, we've been here before. Let's go on. What happened next?

Lyryn...are you okay? Don't want to hurt you.

I'm okay, Skyler. Let's go. Take me farther. Let's find out more.

Skyler hesitated again. She didn't want to hurt her friend, but she needed to
know or she felt like she would die. Okay.......another woman there, looks like
me sorta.........baby is sick......leaving with the black woman.......why would
we leave baby behind?.........don't understand.

Keep going, Skyler. Follow the black woman. Her name is Georgia. Go with her.
Find out what happens.

**V**

Lissi was breathing rapidly, her chest heaving with the exertion of following
Skyler's mind.

Skyler could tell Lyryn was hurting, but she needed her help. She couldn't do
it alone.

**V**

.......watching the black woman. She is taking the little girl away from the
baby.....away from the other woman who is telling the little girl to go with
her..........on a shuttle leaving the outpost..........no baby.........no
Sunni.........no Celeste... who is Celeste?

I think... I think it's your mother. Go on. Follow Georgia. We have to find out
what happens.

Suddenly, they were in a home.  It was a simple place, but cosy and warm.
Lissi and Skyler were observers to Georgia and the child version of Skyler.

So hard.......earth..........with Georgia?............No one
else............Georgia crying, saying "I be so sorry Skyler...........I will
take you as my own.....it will be ok."

Little Skyler watched the older woman talking to someone about an explosion
killing Celeste. "......Where is Celeste......Where is baby.........Sunni!
Where is Sunni?!"

**V**

More tears started to fall down Skyler's face as her heart rate and breathing
increased, almost as if panicking......Lyryn what is happening?.........No one
is there anymore. It's all dark again...........feel pain, feel.....like I am
dead.......

Feel, Lissi squeezed her hand, I'm right here. You're not dead. You can't be
dead if I'm with you. Go on. Figure it out, Skyler. You have to.

Lissi never even noticed as blood began pouring from her nose once again.

**V**

"Georgia, where is mommy? Where is Sunni? Why are you crying?"

"Oh, my baby. I's gonna be your momma now.........I promise I's will always
take care of you. Ms. Celeste and Sunni, dey ain't commin' back. Theys with
Henry now....Yous member my Henry, baby girl. He be in heaven......"

"NO! MOMMY! SUNNI NOT WITH HENRY!!...They promised they'd come back..."

**V**

Tears ran down Lissi's face as she experienced Skyler's torment first hand. I'm
here, she reminded her. Go on. You have to. Lissi's head fell to rest against
the mattress of Skyler's bed.  Blood began to run down the side of the mattress.

Skyler's heart was pounding and her breathing was irregular. Dr. Cazook ran
into the room, but didn't say anything, just standing by in case she was
needed.  But it looked as if perhaps the Lt. were crying with her head bowed.
She didn't want to intrude.

**V**

"No more baby......mommy gone, Sunni gone....all alone.........Sunni is the
baby..........no more mommy, no more sissy...........should've stayed with
them, not left them alone..........my fault..........can't take the pain
anymore............better to forget............then no hurting."

**V**

Skyler was holding onto Lyryn for dear life, even though she was hurting her.
She needed to feel something.

Don't forget, Skyler. Don't forget, Lissi told her, holding to her just as
tightly. She felt faint, but she pushed it back, focusing as hard as she could
on Skyler and bringing her back.

Skyler tried to remember, to not forget, but it was getting so very hard. She
had to go on, she had to remember.

**V**

"Who is Sunni?"

"Dat's your sister."

NO!  Sunni's gone.............Melanie.......Sunni......'Dats your
sister'....How Lyryn?.........How can Melanie be Sunni?.........so confused

**V**

"I don't know," Lissi choked out loud, throwing her head back. "Oh, god." She
felt as if she were going to be sick.

Cazook saw Marksbury's face smeared with blood and tears and hurried to her
side, scanning her with a tricorder.  Elissabeth was completely oblivious to
anything happening in sickbay, she was completely with Skyler.

**V**

Skyler... I can't. I'm so sorry. I don't know... I can't.... do... this.  I'm
not strong enough.  So sorry...

Not your fault, Lyryn.........Go take care of yourself.......Always remember
me.....

Skyler let go of Lyryn's hand and broke the connection between them. She
couldn't stand the pain she was causing. She let herself drift back into the
darkness, her heart rate started to slow way down and her breathing was very
shallow. She was not going to hurt anyone any more. Always remember you are my
friend... she added one last time.

No, dammit!  Lissi reached out with intensity and determination she didn't even
know she posessed and wrapped her arms around Skyler, pulling her back to the
beginning, back towards the light. You will not hide here anymore. We're gonna
get the answers. I'll find them. I promise. You hear me, you stubborn woman?
You are not leaving me!

Skyler suddenly felt herself being pulled back, not exactly sure what was going
on. Her heart rate started to come up, as did her respiration.

**V**

Dr. Cazook was just about ready to start resucitating Commander Skyler. In
fact, she was just about ready to sedate Lt. Marksbury, as well.

**V**

What are you doing?.........You are hurting too much............I won't hurt
you anymore......Don't you understand?......Too much hurt already.  No more....

Then stay here, she told her. Stay here and rest until I can bring you answers.
Will you do that for me? Not leave, not hide? Just stay here? Please, Skyler,
for me?  Taking another couple quick breaths, she said, I have to rest. I need
to know you're okay.

I will wait...........I will trust you and not leave.........I don't want to
hurt you anymore.

 Skyler broke their connection.

**V**

Cazook was surprised as Skyler's vitals steadied and she seemed peaceful.  Lt.
Marksbury, on the other hand was a mess.

Elissabeth looked up at Alexis with a pleading look before her eyes closed and
she fell lifeless against Skyler's bed.

 The all-new My Yahoo! ? Get yours free!