<USS Avalon> "Feeling Replaced" Cmdr Skyler, Melanie Redgrave and Georgia Lewis

  • From: CmdrSkyler@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:59:54 EST

"Feeling Replaced"
Cmdr Skyler, Melanie Redgrave and Georgia Lewis

Skyler looked at Lyta and informed her she had the bridge until the Captain
appeared. However if she was needed she would be in her ready room. Getting up
 she walked across the back of the bridge to her office. Upon entering the
office  she had the computer dim the lights and she proceeded to lay down on
her
couch.  Her thoughts kept drifting toward Melanie and Georgia. Especially
after the  memory she just had while sitting on the bridge.
Melanie hated working half, or even quarter days. There was nothing for her
to do but sit around and watch holo-vids and read. Though she supposed that
was  the whole idea of taking it easy.
Georgia walked into Skyler's office and found her laying on the couch. "Miss
Skyler, whys yous laying on dis here couch? Yous should outta be on the
bridge  shouldn't yous? Is expected to see Miss Mia here so's I could talk to
her."

Skyler looked at Georgia with a crooked grin. "I don't know where Mia is, and
 when she comes it is of her own free will. Although I wouldn't mind seeing
her.  "Georgia, what do you remember about me going with Henry to help Miss.
Jones  have her baby?"
Georgia chuckled, "Whys Miss. Skyler yous was so excited and funny. Henry, he
 says yous was a big hep but was feared I was gonna git mad at him cause he
was  atween someone else's legs. Oh, I remember it well Miss. Skyler. Why?"
Skyler shrugged not sure how to answer that question just yet.
The more Skyler thought about it the more she thought of Melanie. What would
happen with her delivery? Would she have the baby at the Redgrave's or on the
 ship. She had let her walls down not realizing that she was spreading her
thoughts out to Melanie. She hadn't seen her in a while and hoped that they
would be able to get together soon. Perhaps in the near future.
If you want to come see me, Sky, all you have to do is come down. Melanie
replied to the sudden thoughts she was picking up. Iâm in my cabin.
Skyler sat up with a strange look on her face. "Come on Georgia, I think it's
 time to go see your favorite girl." Getting up Skyler walked toward the door
 with Georgia behind her.
"What you talkin bout Miss. Skyler?"
Skyler just shook her head. "You know that Melanie is your favorite and she
has you wrapped around her little finger." The two women made it to the lift
and  waited until it reached the deck where Melanie's cabin was. Reaching the
door  Skyler rang the chime and waited.
âCome in.â Melanie called out as sent her parenting book aside.
Georgia was the first one to burst through the door leaving Skyler to bring
up the rear. "Hows yous doin Miss. Melanie? Yous need me to do anythin fors
you?"
Skyler looked at the interaction between the two. "Georgia, I told you she
had you wrapped around her little finger." Skyler sat in the chair across from
her sister and just looked at her.
âIâm fine, Georgia.â Melanie replied with a warm smile. âIâve gotten
the
hypertension under control and Vevay just checked in to make sure Iâd taken
my
meds.â Turning her head to look at her older sister, Melanie nearly laughed.
âWhat?â
"What are you laughing at? There is something different about you. This much
I can feel and hell can tell just by looking at you. You going to fill me in
or  what?"
Melanie looked down at herself despite knowing what was so very different.  â
Well, last time you saw me I was the size of a runabout and now Iâm
relatively
 the size of a galaxy class.â
"That's not what I am talking about and you know it. Something else is going
on with you." You know all about me so I thought there were no secrets
between us?
"Now, Miss. Skyler, don't you go buggin Miss. Melanie. Is sure everythin is
jest fine. Tain't that right Miss. Melanie?"
Skyler just sighed.
Reaching up with her left hand, Melanie ran her fingers through her hair as
she shifted on the couch. âSure, things are going wonderfully now.â
"If things are so wonderful, why have you taken off the ring Eli gave you?
Sunni talk to me. I am your sister for what its worth. I would hope you could
talk to me about anything."
âI couldnât wear it knowing that I would never marry him.â Melanie
sighed.
She knew this would happen, the explanations, the questions. Best get it over
with, she thought.
Get over what?
Melanie sighed. âTelling you that Iâm calling off the wedding because Eli
isnât who Iâm meant to be with, or to love heart and soul.â
Georgia sat quietly trying to figure out what was going on.
"So I take it you have found someone else who fills this void? Are you going
to tell me about them? Or were you just going to let me find out through the
grapevine?"
âIf you thought about it youâd know.â Melanie told her sister. She
didnât
understand why Skyler was getting so defensive, it had all happened so
recently  that she was still adjusting to it all.
Skyler got up and went over to sit next to her sister. "This new person is
Vevay Davis is it not? Does she make you happy?" I just I wish I could be so
lucky.
Melanie nodded. âMore then anyone ever has.â She replied with a bright
smile.  âItâ so different with her itâs like we apart of each other
somehow.â
"That's what usually happens when you find the right person." Georgia looked
at both women and smiled. "That's how it was wit me and my Henry. Even when
we  were not together wes was still together."
Skyler looked at Melanie and smiled. "I really am happy for you, and I will
but out. I just want you to be happy, that is the most important thing. That
you  and the baby are well and happy."
âSheâs already taking care of us.â Melanie replied. âAnd she loves the
baby
 already.â She paused a moment for adding, âPromise me youâll leave her
alone,  Skyler.â
"I already said I wasn't going to butt in. That doesn't mean I'm not going to
 be concerned. It is however your life to live and as long as you are happy
that's all that matters. To be honest I envy you this new found happiness."
Georgia looked at Skyler, "Miss, Skyler you will find your soul mate someday.
Yous jest has to be patient. Now as for you Miss. Melanie, Is gonna cut back
on  my hours to hep you wit this child. Jest like I did Miss. Skyler."
Melanie took Georgiaâs hand and squeezed it as she smiled brightly at her.
Your going to be a wonderful grandmother, Georgia, and I want you to spend as
 much time as youâd like with her, but thereâs no need for you to give up
your  work or your life to do it. Vevay and I have the perfect nanny for
her.â
"Now yous jest wait one second now. I raised Ms. Skyler and didn't get the
chance to hep raise you and now yous is telling me yous found someone else to
hep you wit this baby? This jest aint gonna work. It's my life to do wit as I
please and takin care of yous child is what Is gonna do. Don't you be
thinking  yous too big for me to put cross my knees."
Skyler just sat there and grinned. She knew that if Georgia was denied being
able to take care of Melanie's baby that she was going to blow a gasket.
âI didnât say you couldnât help, Georgia.â Melanie sighed. âItâs
just we
have  someone who will be able to help us full time. I donât think Anna would
like it  if we kept you from sick bay.â
Georgia crossed her arms under her amble bosom and looked at Melanie. "Jest
who dis person be, thats yous got picked out, that yous think is better than
me?  Is was good enough for Miss. Skyler, nows Is not good enough for your
chile?  Well, I never."
Skyler just sat there watching. She knew the time would come when her and
Georgia would become second fiddle, she also knew Georgia wasn't going to take
it well.
âThis has nothing to do with anyone being better then anyone else.â Melanie

reassured. âAnd the person is Maggie.â
"And jest who is this here Maggie person? I dont reckon ever hearing about
any Maggie be on dis ship." Georgia looked at Skyler who simply shrugged. She
had no idea who this Maggie was, although she had a suspicion. She would let
Melanie handle this one. Georgia was not going to give up easily, and for that
 matter neither would Skyler but she had already been told to butt out. She
had  been effectively put in her place.
Melanie sighed as she tried to keep herself from getting worked up. âMaggie
is a holographic double for Vevayâs aunt.â She explained. âSheâs been
fitted
 with a mobile emitter so she can roam freely on the ship, and both mine and
Vevayâs quarters have been updated with holo-projectors so she can still help
 with the baby even when she doesnât have her emitter.â
Georgia just looked shocked. "Yous mean to say yous is replacing me wit a
hologram? I jest don't believe it." Georgia was getting bright red in the face
and Skyler knew she was about to lose it.
"Georgia, just calm down. Your blood pressure is going to go through the
ceiling if you aren't careful, then you won't be around for the baby. Maybe
Sunni is right and it would be better to have this hologram watch the baby. I
don't know the answers but you getting all riled up isn't going to do you or
Sunni any good. So sit down and I will get you a glass of water." Georgia sat
as
Skyler went to the replicator and got a glass of water for Georgia and a
glass  of tea for her sister. "So, have you told your mother about all these
changes  yet?"
âFirst, Georgia, you are not being replaced. Your still going to be this  baby
âs family.â Turning to look at Skyler, Melanie shook her head. âI
havenât
even told Eli yet.â
Skyler looked at Melanie and sighed. "When do you plan on telling him? He is
the father after all. Not that it is any concern of mine. As long as you are
happy that's all that matters. Don't worry about Georgia, I will take care of
 her. She will get over it and in time will get used to it, though I'm not
sure  how she is going to take to a hologram? That could prove interesting to
say the  least." God she looks so happy, maybe someday I will be as happy or
not. Life  is just a gamble after all.
âMaggieâs great, your both going to like her.â Melanie smiled brightly
before  frowning. âAnd Iâll tell him when I see him.â
Georgia was beside herself pacing around the room. "Is can't believe Is being
 replaced by a bunch of holomatrix's and what has you. I jest can't believe
it."
Skyler looked at her sister, then back at Georgia, "Georgia would you just
calm down. You heard Melanie, you''re not being replaced."
Georgia looked at Skyler and smirked, "It ain't right. Is family and family
should looks after their owns. Its jest not natural to have a...hologram watch
 after yous kin. It jest tain't right." She continued to pace
"I think I better take her back to my quarter's and talk to her before she
has a nervous breakdown or something. I know how much she was looking forward
to  taking care of your child. But you have to do what is right for you."
âMaggie is family.â Melanie insisted. âSheâs Vevayâs family which
makes her
 mine too.â Sighing, Melanie nodded at her sister. âI think youâd
better.â
"Don't worry about Georgia, I will talk to her. She just feels left out right
 now. I'm sure in time she will understand things better." She watched as
Georgia  sat there with tears in her eyes. "Come on ole' woman, it's time we
left
Melanie  and the baby alone. I'm sure they are in good hands, besides you
still have me  to take care of and that is a full time job."
Georgia smirked just a little.
Standing up, Skyler walked over to her sister and gave her a hug,  Remember,
she just wants what is best for you and the baby. It is going to  take her
time to adjust to this replacement you have come up with. Letting  go of her
sister she walked over to Georgia and put her arm around her shoulder.  "Come
on
you, lets go see what other trouble we can get into."
Georgia turned and looked at Melanie and gave her a small smile. "Is loves
yous both, thats all."
With that Skyler and Georgia walked out of Melanie's quarter's and headed
back to her own. It was going to be a long night of calming Georgia  down.