<USS Avalon> =/\= A Visit To Dr. Anna =/\=

  • From: KaeraAshayu@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 22:27:27 EST

=/\= A Visit To Dr. Anna =/\=
by Camdell Loyen, Kaera Ashayu, and Dr. Anna

Cam helped Kaera through the Sickbay doors.  "You doing OK?" he asked.

"I'll be all right," she said, clinging to his hand.  The retching had
passed, but left her feeling a little weak.

The doors swished closed behind them and Cam started looking around for one
of the doctors.  "Seems a little quiet in here," he said.  "The babies OK,
too?" he asked back to Kaera, but waved to the Chief Medical Officer as he saw
her
out of the corner of his eye.

"I hope so..."  Kaera was still rubbing her belly gently with the other hand.
 "It is too soon for them to be born, isn't it?"

Anna gave the man a curt nod and strode over.  "What's happened?"

"We were talking in her office in the Library," he said.  "All of a sudden
she was feeling so sick she nearly fell over."

"Help her onto a biobed," Anna told him.  "Let's take a look at you."

"Sick at my stomach," Kaera put in.  "It's better now, but I just feel so...
so tight."  She rubbed her fingers over the tightness.

Cam helped her onto the biobed.  "Easy now, Love," he told her as he helped
her get settled.

"Lie still, describe what led up to the feeling," Anna asked softly as she
set the diagnostic arm to begin a scan.

"It is too soon," Kaera repeated.  "Isn't it?"  She lay back for the scan.
"We were having lunch, and talking about the funny feeling that someone's been
hiding in the library.  And I got sick to my stomach."

"Have you had cramps of any kind?" Anna asked.

The Cardassian girl shook her head.  "No.  Only the tight feeling.  It gets
stronger and fades, but it's not a cramp."

"Okay, then I'm going to hazard a professional opinion that you're not going
into labour quite yet," the doctor told her.

"Is that what they call false labour?" asked Kaera, glancing at Cam.

He smiled at her.  "Let the Doctor figure it out, Kaera," he told her gently.
 When she knows, she'll say what it is."  He looked up to the doctor and then
back to Kaera.  "She's only just started her scans."

"This may take a while, I want to do a full scan just to make sure everyone's
all right," Anna told them.

Kaera lay back, trying to ease the tension in her shoulders and neck.

Once the scans were complete, Anna checked all the results over thoroughly
then turned back to the couple.  "You have a slight stomach upset caused by a
small bug.  I'll get you a hypo for it in a minute, something mild that won't
hurt the babies.  Other than that, you're perfectly healthy."

"And the babies are healthy too?" Kaera asked, seeking affirmation.  "When
should I expect real labour?"

"Not for a good long while and yes," Anna smiled, "the little ones are fine."

Cam reached down and began to massage Kaera's shoulders as she was getting
the information from Anna.  "Sounds like I need to schedule you an appointment
with me once a week."

"What if there is someone hiding and watching me in the library?" she
wondered aloud, glancing from Anna to Cam and back again.

"Then you should contact Security immediately," Anna said simply.

Kaera nodded.  She wasn't accustomed to needing Security.  But it made sense.
 "So," she said, "this... bug... in my stomach?  It will go away?  I'll be
able to eat?"

Cam stood by and listened  and continued to massage Kaera's shoulders.

"Here," Anna programmed a hypo and held it to the woman's neck.  The hiss
told her the drug was happily injected.  "All done.  Give it 24 hours and if it
hasn't improved then come back."

"Thank you, Dr. Anna."  Kaera smiled.  "I'm sorry to be such trouble."

"No trouble," Anna grinned.  "Easy patients are a good thing."

Cam smiled.  "Sorry if we pulled you away from something, Doctor," he said
gently.

Gazing around the empty bay, Anna chuckled.  "Yes, staring at myself in the
mirror to see if I'm showing.  That's it."

Kaera laughed a little.  "You look fine," she assured the CMO.

"Hmph, I won't soon enough.  Give it a month or two and I'll be the size of a
small whale.  Give it longer and I'll have my own gravitational pull," Anna
grinned at them, laughing brightly.

"Maybe engineering can rig you some antigravs to hold your belly up," said
Kaera, trying to joke with a straight face.  "I know I'm starting to feel like
need them."

"You look beautiful," Anna informed her with a no-nonsense nod.  "Don't
argue.  Doctor knows best, after all."

Cam chuckled.  "I keep telling her the same thing.  At least now she'll
believe me," he said.

"And the Doctor will have to take her own advice after a while," Kaera
agreed.

Laughing louder still, Anna nodded.  "She has a handsome husband to keep
reminding her, don't worry."

Kaera nodded back.  She and Cam didn't have any such permanence, but what
they had was a solid relationship.  It was good.

Cam looked down at Kaera and smiled.  "We could do something like that," he
suggested.

"We can talk about it," she said, with a sudden shiver of fear that she
couldn't explain.  "Thank you again," she said to Anna.

"No worries," Anna beamed, switching off all the diagnostic equipment.  "Come
on back anytime."

Cam smiled.  "Yes, Thank you, Doctor.  But hopefully we won't need to be back
until the babies are ready to put in an appearance."

"I have an appointment for a regular check up in nine days," Kaera informed
him.

"I'll see you then," Anna said with a grin.

Cam blushed slightly having forgotten about the check up.  "That's right, I
forgot," he said.

Grinning back at Anna, Kaera led Cam toward the exit.  "Miriam would say it's
a 'guy thing'," she called back to the doctor as they left.

"They're all the same," Anna agreed.

"But you love us for it," he said with a smile.  "You wouldn't have it any
other way."

=/\=