<USS Avalon> "Delegation of Authority"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:15:13 -0800 (PST)

Delegation of Authority
By Senior Lieutenant Elissabeth Marksbury
and Junior Lieutenant James Monroe

03:30 found Marksbury sitting at her desk.  She hated to admit it, but she was
starting to wish she hadn't planned such a rigorous training schedule for the
covert ops team.  But I had no way of knowing this would happen to Skyler...

It had taken a great deal of convincing for Doctor Cazook to allow her to leave
sickbay the night before.  Apparently she had been linked with Skyler nearly an
hour before she finally passed out.  Cazook revived her almost instantly, and
seeing no real damage done, gave her a considerable dose of pain medication,
allowing her to return to quarters.  Cazook had said the minor hemorraging was
due to the considerable amount of strain she was placing on herself by
connecting with Skyler.  It wasn't dangerous at this point, but Cazook didn't
think it was wise to keep trying.

Lissi disagreed.  She knew that she had to find the answers for Skyler and she
intended to.  Now to find the time to do it.

"Marksbury to Monroe," she said, after tapping her combadge.

"Monroe here."

"I need to see you in my office, please."

"On my way."

In another minute, her badge chirped, "Monroe to Marksbury - I seem to be
having some difficulty unlocking my door."

"I'll take care of it."  She told the computer to unlock Lt. Monroe's quarters.

James walked in two minutes later with a crooked grin.  "Wow, Liss, that was
harsh - giving a lecture on not being late and then locking us in our ...
What's wrong?"

"That obvious?"

He studied her a moment, "Probably only to me.  Did you not sleep at all?"

"I slept a couple hours.  I spent part of the night in sickbay with Skyler."
Sighing, she told him, "I have several things I need to do, and past this
initial lecture for people being late, the covert ops stuff is basic and
routine this morning - nothing that really requires my attention until this
evening.  I need you to run things for me awhile."

"Me?"

"Why is that so surprising?  You're the next ranking officer, you're qualified,
and you're a good leader.  I would've chosen you no matter what to be my second
in command."

"Yeah, but..."

"But?"

"You didn't want me in your chain of command."

"You're right, but this time it can't be helped, it's only this week, and you
are the clear cut choice for the job.  Not a single person could argue that.
I'm not "choosing" you over anyone else.  You already out rank them by
seniority and training.  And as far as I know, no one knows anything about our
relationship and I intend to keep it professional.  Are you accepting the job
or do I give it to Lt. Matthews?"

"I accept.  Have a schedule?"

"Here."  She handed him a PADD. "It's just basic drills this morning.  It's
going to take a couple days for them to get to know each other, so we're
sticking with the simple stuff for now."

He nodded.

"I'm interested in hearing your evaluations and I want copies of the training
vids.  I'll join you by lunchtime, I'm hoping."

"Okay.  Anything else?"

"No."  Looking at her chronometer, she said, "It's almost time to go.  You
should get there first.  I'm going to unlock everyone else's door at 04:00.
I've got the security guys on duty playing dumb and unlocking doors if they're
called - that is, if anyone thinks to go that route."

He smiled at her.  "Not meant to keep us in, just meant to see how we'd deal
with it?  You're setting them all up against you, aren't you?"

"It's the only way to do it in this amount of time."

"I get ya.  But can you tell me what's going on?  How's the Commander?"

"She's stable.  I need to find out some answers for her.  Then I need to
interview Lt. Commander Manson about the incident yesterday."

"And are you going to sleep anytime in there somewhere?"

"We'll see."

"Liss..." he said with a mild threat.

"James."  Her tone left no room for arguement.  He wasn't going to convince her
to slow down and rest and he knew it.

"Just don't wear yourself out."

"I've been through worse.  Now get going," she smiled weakly.

He hesitated, considering his next words, but changed his mind and walked out
the door.

 The all-new My Yahoo! ? Get yours free!