<USS Avalon> "Consequences"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:55:02 -0800 (PST)

** Takes place before log "Final Approach and Engagement" **

Consequences
By Senior Lieutenant Elissabeth Marksbury
and Junior Lieutenant James Monroe

It was impossible to get back to sleep. Elissabeth wondered how long she had
slept as Tel watched over her.

He's been assigned to observe you. He's not your friend, he's not in love with
you, you're his target. He's been lying to you all this time.

The more she thought over his words, the angrier she became. What right did Tel
have to come into her life and turn it upside down? Or at least turn Lyryn?s
life upside down. Lissi didn?t trust him. This was the man who had savagely
beaten one of her dearest friends for Pete?s sake. But Lyryn did trust him. It
was all too complicated.

"Computer, lights." She got up and saw the data chip sitting on the night
stand. Interested, she weighed the tiny thing in her palm on her way to her
console. Slipping it inside, she found Tel?s proof that James was indeed spying
on her. Some of the vids were of him watching, others were his reports.

You know that he can't continue his eavesdropping.

Oh, she knew, and she was going to take care of it right now. James would
probably be at the gym at this hour. It would give her enough time to set up.

Changing her clothes, she made her way to James? quarters after checking with
the computer to confirm his location. She over-rode the door and the lights
with no difficulty, such were the perks of her job, and sat in the darkness
waiting for him to return.

The doors wisped open as Monroe walked in and threw his towel and shirt onto a
chair. He hadn't exercised much, too concerned over his decision to stop
observing Liss. It had an effect he could nearly foresee. Shaking his head, he
went over to the replicator and absently called out to the computer, "Lights."

Nothing happened. James sighed, "Computer, lights."

It hurt her to hear him. That voice she loved. She missed him already.
Elissabeth really did care for James, but reminded herself what he?d been
doing, how he?d been lying... she had made love to this man and it was all a
lie.

She stood and moved loudly enough he would know someone else was there, but not
enough he could pinpoint her location.

"Scaring me won't work," James said cooly. "Either speak up or shoot me. I
don't care right now." He realized he meant it. Lying to Liss really did hurt
him, but James knew he loved the woman. And it all felt as if both of them were
living a real lie. Now was definitely better than later.

She remained silent, watching him, waiting to see what would happen.

"This the part where I?m suppose to call security or reach for a phaser?" James
stood there, knowing well enough what these sort of situations were like.
"Whatever it is you're gonna do, do it. One way or the other, I'd still like to
sleep."

She moved to stand less than a meter behind him, knowing that he?d feel her
presence now.

He turned around, slowly. Balance secure as he prepared himself to face
whatever was coming next.

"How does it feel to be the one being watched, James?" she asked, still leaving
the darkness intact.

That preparation crumbled as he looked down automatically. His breath suddenly
caught in his throat, "Liss."

"So, how does it feel?"

"Liss, why didn't you just say something earlier?"

"Do you know what it's like to find out you've had your privacy violated by
someone you trusted?" Her voice was detached, as if it were trying to forget
about every feeling between them.

"Yeah," James nodded. He wanted to take a step forward, but thought against it,
"Especially the one that earned your trust through all that hardship. I know.
That's why the mission has been aborted. I couldn't take it any longer."

"How could you? Every word, every gesture... it was all a lie. Now I know that
our ?chance meeting? wasn?t so chance and it hurts worse than you could
imagine."

"No," he took the step forward, "it wasn't, Liss. I tried to keep the mission
and you separate. But my... feelings have gotten in the way for me to observe
you from a different view. I never wanted to betray you, Liss."

"But you did."

"I was ordered to Liss. No questions asked. No help. No inkling about what
exactly I was looking for. Nothing. Only that they wanted to know if you are
who you... are."

"And who else could I possibly be? I am Elissabeth Marksbury, Senior
Lieutenant, Chief of Covert Operations, USS Avalon. And your former
girlfriend," she added quietly, still not turning on the lights. She didn?t
want to see his face.

"Liss..."

"What? What could you possibly say that could justify what you've done? If you
had orders to observe me, you could've done it without sleeping with me." Her
voice remained calm, but it contained venom.

He winced at that. "Nothing. There is nothing more than that. I already gave
you the truth. Other than saying I'm sorry, which I am. I?m sorry I couldn't
tell you. I'm sorry that our relationship is over because of this. I'm sorry
that I hurt you. I'm sorry." His voice wasn't strained, but he felt tears
moving down his cheeks, "More than I can say."

"There is a serious distinction between following orders and betraying your
girlfriend. If your orders were to observe me, then you should never have
gotten involved with me. That?s what hurts. Orders I can understand.  Betrayal,
I cannot. This all ends now. You will spy on me no longer, is that understood?
Or you will pay for it."

"You don?t need to threaten me, Liss. I already told you. It's ended."

"I wasn't threatening you. I was laying out the consequences for your actions.
Good-bye, James."

She turned and walked out the door.