<USS Avalon> <Avalon> "The First Assignment"

  • From: thequicksilverhare <thequicksilverhare@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 13:15:35 -0700

"The First Assignment"
by Commander Javan Sierra
and introducing Ensign Cender Vayle

The Avalon was quiet in her trip to the Rydyn homeworld. The reports had been read and filed appropriately, and Javan was beginning to take steps for the delegations security and their demands. If he'd read the processed orders correctly they would be observing the ship's functions and crew during their trip back to Earth. That posed a problem since the delegation was nearly thirty people. They all had their assignments and Javan was to assign security contingents for each delegate member on board.

Shifting through the duty roster, he picked up Cender Vayle's records. Impressive. And the small identification photograph in the upper right corner of the man's file was small, but even so, the jet-haired Ylyscan's golden eyes were large and striking. On the PADD, anyway, he was ideal for the assignment Javan had for him.

"Ensign Vayle, report to my office at once for next assignment."

Javan moved him up to nearly the top of his current assignment on the Avalon - which had taken over a year to even begin. He was hoping to end it soon. Vayle could be the answer to his prayers.

"Vayle here. I'm on my way." Vayle changed direction as he walked down a corridor and ducked into a turbolift. He wondered briefly what his new department head could want with him, and perhaps more importantly, what could have brought him to the attention of the chief of security. He stepped off the lift as it came to a halt and found the security office with little difficulty. He straightened his uniform and tapped the door chime.

Sierra looked up and leaned back in his chair.

"Enter," he called and watched the doors swish open. The Ylyscan's height had appeared in his performance records, but the physical reality of the tall and lithe but solid alien convinced Javan that he'd made the right choice. "Welcome to the most tedious assignment that Starfleet can give someone. If you have a life I sure hope you don't mind abandoning it for a couple of days to help the USS Avalon host a delegation from Rydyn Prime. They're pledging the Federation."

The corner of Vayle's mouth turned slightly upward. "I've only recently come aboard, sir. I do not have a life to speak of. What is my assignment?"

"You get to work with the medical staff. A few of the observers coming on board have expertise in medical and I want you to shadow them and make sure that they're not dabbling in things they shouldn't and things of the like," Javan slid a PADD across the table that had more specific goals and requirements of him, but it was all tedious matters to begin with. "You'll report to Senior Lieutenant Felicity Roan. She'll station you where she needs you once the delegation comes on board."

"I understand. Am I to report to her immediately?"

"No, when we arrive and transport them aboard."

"Anything else, sir?"

"No, you're dismissed."

Outside the security chief's office, just as he stepped onto a turbolift, Vayle wondered again what might have attracted Sierra's attention to one of the newest of Ensigns aboard the ship. He decided to forget it. "Deck seven." The turbolift closed around him and bore him away.