<USS Avalon> A Little Meeting

  • From: CptKetchum@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:12:20 EST

A Little Meeting
By Captain Keith Ketchum and Lieutenant Commander Anthony Manson

Sitting in his office, Keith read the initial report from Lieutenant
Marksbury on her investigation of what occurred in the turbolift with
Lieutenant
Commander Manson.  He frowned.   He muttered to himself, âThis creates more
questions then answers.  I don't like it.â

Reaching over, he tapped the comm, âKetchum to Manson, please report to my
office.â  He picked up the PADD and walked over to the couch in his office,
and
waited.

Anthony got out of his station, letting Phillipa take over as he walked into
the turbolift. It didn't take long, and Anthony felt slightly edgy about being
in a small room that- right now- was the perfect opportunity for that shadow
to visit again. The doors wisped open, and Anthony got out quickly. He tapped
the chime.

âEnter.â

Anthony walked in, hands at his back. He found Captain Ketchum sitting
comfortably on the couch, âYes, Captain?â

âCome, sit, Commander, I just have a couple of thingsâ, motioning to the
other end of the couch, or a chair.

Anthony took the other end of the couch, âSomething wrong?â

âActually, Commander, if something were truly wrong, Iâd still have you at
attention in front of my desk.â  Keith smiled, âWhatâs the time to
arrival at
the location of the Ferengi vessel that has the Romulan?â

He felt suddenly relieve inside, âLong range sensors picked them up on the
fourth moon in the Zeriz system. They haven't detected us yet. Our time of
arrival is ten hours. Seven if we went faster.â

âFaster, I believe, is warranted.â

Anthony smiled with nod. Tapping his commbadge, âLieutenant Shimbrodus,
increase speed to warp eight.â He clicked off, âthere's nothing else to
report
right now, sir. Would there be anything else?â

âThere is something else, Commander.â

He gave a small frown, âyes?â

âJust so you know, I have the room swept for âbugsâ routinely, so you are
able to speak freely.â  Keith continued, âWithin the last two years, Skyler
and
Sierra fight, and I have to relieve them of duty, to investigate.  Then,
Captain Flubb is killed, and one of the crew is at fault.  And now my Acting XO
is
attacked in a turbolift, by an unknown assailant.  There is too much going
on, on this ship that how to put it âisnât kosherâ.  Surely you have not
been
forthcoming with all the information about the attackâ, motioning to the
report
from Marksbury, âAnd I would like you to tell me everything.â

He blinked and sighed at the same time. Maybe... maybe I could... âComputer,
deactivate surveillance devices. Authorization Alpha Three.â

âSurveillance devices deactivate. Secondary systems offline,â the computer
said blandly.

Anthony looked at the Captain, giving a grim smile, âthe room isn't as swept
thoroughly by the computer as you think, Captain.  In fact, there are a few
more that I know I can't reach. He's limited my movements.â

Keith perked his brow, âI see, well it appears, that maybe I need you to
check the room next time.  But please begin.â

Keith perked his brow, âI see, well it appears, that maybe I need you to
check the room next time.  Is there a better place... to talk?â  Standing he
walked over to his desk and took out some paper and a pen.  Handing them to
Anthony, âThese might help, also.â

âIt's okay,â Anthony shook his head, âbesides, my first mistake was
deactivating the devices, but then again Iâm gaining an advantage. It's worth
the risk,
â he shrugged and continued, âSection 31 doesn't like it when you...
question them. I've been doing that for some time now. In fact, I,â he paused
for a
second. He looked at the Captain, Anthony hesitated. No, this is the only
chance, he thought to himself, âI played a minor part in Flubb's death.
Little did
I realize he was already dead by the time I could get my shot. But I did play
a large role in... The Rydyn Delegation.â

Retaking his seat on the couch, Keith listened to what Anthony had given to
the explanation and nodded.  âYou're part of Section 31?  And it was
determined
that Mr. Kendrick killed Flubb, but there were other shoeprints in the room
that were different.â  Finally realizing, âAnd what part did you play?â

âI was to foil the Rydyn's petition for admittance in the Federation. I only
managed to get the council to... 'consider' their petition for membership.â
Anthony looked at Keith, âI didn't ask to be recruited, I resisted. This is
where it gets me when I resist. Section 31 doesnât like to take 'no' for an
answer. And no,â he reaffirmed, âIâm not with Section. I've been trying
real hard
to distance myself. The Rydyn's involvement became my problem when... someone
else's life was weighed upon my decision.â

âI see, well, so this is what caused your incident in the lift?  Having not
completed the request of killing Flubb, and the Rydynâs pre-admittance.  Or
is
there more?â  Keith thought back to the PADD that Karg had given him so many
months before, with names of Section members on it.  âAnd Alder was that
life,
I assume?â

âYeah,â Anthony replied silently. âI couldn't, I can't, lose him. Simple
choice really, but it is so much more difficult at the same time.â Anthony
looked
around, âmy new orders have arrived. But Iâm not fulfilling them. I won't
play their games anymore. They'll threaten me again, or beat me down to submit.
But I can't. It's too risky. I'm not an agent,â he said tiredly and looked at
Keith, âand now Marksbury is hot on my heels. She's very intelligent, and
she's very determined. Their natural choice to pick later, should the Section
find
use for her.â

This disturbed him even more, but he had a lot more then he expected.  âYes,
I suppose you are right.  And I suppose you shouldnât tell me your mission,
since it might be killing meâ, letting out a nervous laugh.  âAnd Ms.
Marksbury
will be pre-occupied during this mission that much I can guarantee.â  He
paused as if making a quick decision, âI do have a list of Section members
aboard
the ship, as provided from one of the crew, through truly covert means.  I can
let you look at it, if youâd like.  Iâm not sure it would help, but might
open your eyes.  Iâve never shown it to anyone before, including Skyler, due
the content.â

He gave the Captain a serious look, âYou're not next Captain. Commander
Sierra is. I'm hoping you could help me. I need a way to get certain things
done,â
he shook his head as his voice lowered; âI'll let you know later. And the
list
would help.â

Keith nodded, âI appreciate you being forthcoming to me, Lieutenant
Commander, it really means a lot to me.  Is there anything else, youâd like
to discuss?â
  Keith looked at the ring upon Anthonyâs hand.

âWell, yeah,â Anthony smiled, âI'd like you to wed Alder and myself.â

âThat, Mr. Manson would be an honor to do.â  Keith smiled, âJust let me
know, when and where, and Iâll be there.â

Anthony nodded, âSoon. Very soon.â His attention went back to matters of
the
Section, âI donât think I need the list, but maybe you could tell me. Is
Sierra on that list?â

Keith didn't verbally answer, instead he nodded.  But then spoke, âI suppose
you will 'leave' the ship for a while, for your honeymoon, I just hope you
don't plan on 'retiring'.â  Keith winked.  âI suppose though, once you do
get
married, 'you can never get out of it'.â  He hoped that Anthony understood
what
he meant.

âYeah, it's a real bind,â Anthony nodded with a smile. âWould there be
anything else, Captain?â

âI believe that is all, Mr. Manson.  Congratulations on your engagement.  Let
me know when we arrive.  Dismissed.â

Anthony nodded, âYes, Captain. Computer, delete all recordings. Authorization
Delta Beta Two. Bypass all other orders for the last thirty six hours.â He
looked at the Captain, âthe surveillances have been reactivated- partly, and
what I can't command...â Anthony smiled, ânothing is perfect with Section
either.
â He turned and left.

After Anthony left, Keith returned to his desk, and reached under the desk
and pulled out a PADD that he had placed there, with the list of Section 31
operatives on it that were on Avalon.  He punched in a very very long code, and
the list appeared on the screen.  His eyes went down the list, frowning.  After
a few moments, he entered the lock code, and replaced the PADD back where it
was.