[austechwriter] Re: working in other states with management companies

  • From: "Christine Birtley-Kent" <birtley_kent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 17:04:46 +1000

> Speaking (as Christine did) of thinking creatively, I know someone in the
> USA who bought a secondhand campervan that she keeps in a caravan park and
> lives in when she's at a client site that's quite a distance from her
home.
> She also has a small car for getting around in. A campervan or caravan is,
> of course, not a cheap option, but I gather than in her case it paid for
> itself fairly quickly in motel savings.

I think this all depends on how one is wanting to approach work.  I have
always loved travel, and it only recently occurred to me that one good way
around the shortage of work, is to go to where the work is.

I have a tent in the boot, just in case I can't find accommodation.  I
haven't had to use it yet.  As all caravan parks have shower blocks, it
would be possible to work from a caravan park - particularly if you take a
van or a cabin (not possible with a dog unfortunately).  (That's another
idea for Erisa - cabins or caravans in caravan parks - particularly during
term time - are almost always easy to get - and extremely cost effective.)

A co-worker I met at the AWB was towing his caravan around the country,
again going to where the work is - and hopefully interesting places at the
same time.   Hi Peter?

ck