[austechwriter] Re: working in other states with management companies

  • From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Australian Technical Writers List <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 15:55:38 +1000

Alex Noon wrote,
>As an equestrian endurance rider, I do sleep in the back seat of my 4WD
>often at rides that well exceed zero overnight (far more cozy) rather than
>the float - all you need is a really good sleeping bag - oh - and may be a
>couple of night caps.

LOL! Well, I've done that too, but not on _business_ trips!

Christine -- thanks for lots of practical suggestions. I'm another person
who likes "downmarket" accommodation; as long as the place is clean, the
bed is comfortable, the water is hot, and the refrigerator and
airconditioning/heater (depending on the season) works, I'm happy. Oh, and
no loud all-night disco downstairs or next door! <grin> I'm sure one can
still find such accommodation in the Canberra area, though perhaps it is
still full of locals who haven't rebuilt after the fire.

Speaking (as Christine did) of thinking creatively, I know someone in the
USA who bought a secondhand campervan that she keeps in a caravan park and
lives in when she's at a client site that's quite a distance from her home.
She also has a small car for getting around in. A campervan or caravan is,
of course, not a cheap option, but I gather than in her case it paid for
itself fairly quickly in motel savings.

Jean