atw: Umbrella companies

  • From: margp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 14:58:09 +1000 (EST)

Does anyone know anything about contractor umbrella companies in Australia?

My employer has decided that she is sick of paying an agent and wants me to re-
organise how I do things, and using an "umbrella company" is the latest
suggestion, which I don't think I've heard of before.

Is this something like Freelance, or a different beast? I've looked at
Freelance before, so I know how that works.

Any gotchas or warnings that anyone can think of?

I guess the other option is to set up my own company, or take on a lot of extra
paperwork myself.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Margaret