atw: Tips exchange

  • From: Craig Hadden <CraigH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:08:56 +1100

Don't you think it would be great if many people on the list posted tips
about a variety of subjects? What a fantastic resource and knowledge
exchange that could be. (Not necessarily just about software, although it
has the advantage of being clear-cut compared to some other knowledge
domains.)

To me, the key is to keep tips short and to the point. Then it wouldn't
matter if you read several tips that you knew already, because you wouldn't
have spent much time reading them! And people who didn't already know them
would quickly learn something useful.

Evidently many users don't like "Tips of the Day" in software because such
tips provide information which, *at the time*, is not relevant to their
work, and is often hard to find again when it *is* needed. (A recipe for
frustration!)

But I *like* tips. And if I think a particular tip will be useful, I write
it down.

Which brings me to another tip that isn't solely about software:

* Keep a written record of tips, which you can take with you on your laptop
or when you change jobs or contracts. You can use the same document to
record anything that might be useful to remember months later, such as
Internet addresses, and code examples such as JavaScript or Visual Basic. By
using a single document, you can easily keep track of, back up and transport
all the of URLs and other stuff that you find useful.

Tracy wrote:
> This is great, thank-you for the handy hints, always appreciated

Thank you for the feedback, Tracy. I'm glad you found the tips useful.

So come on, everybody -- each of us has at least one tip that we could share
whenever the list is quiet.

Cheers,
Craig