atw: Tip: Word's almost hidden HTML tool

  • From: Stewart Walker <helpfulau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:29:45 -0800 (PST)

Hi all

I recently came across a handy HTML tool in Word
called the Microsoft Script Editor (MSE). It has a
WYSIWG view, a Code view and a Preview view. I avoid
the WYSIWG view and just use the Code view and Preview
view. The Code view has syntax highlighting and other
good stuff that code editors need; the Preview view
uses IE's HTML rendering engine (I assume) and seems
OK.

In Word 2000, you access MSE via the Tools > Macro >
Microsoft Script Editor command.

If you're doing a fair bit of HTML work, though, it's
better to run MSE as a standalone program. If you
search your PC for "MSE.EXE" you'll find where it's
been installed, and then you can create a shortcut or
whatever to make it easier to access.

Anyway, thought you'd like to hear about MSE. It's not
as good as a dedicated tool like Dreamweaver, but for
a "freebie" I reckon it's pretty neat.

Enjoy!

Stewart