atw: Suggestions for getting a start as a Technical writer

  • From: Shumona Roy-McKean <shumonar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 23:53:22 +0000

Hi Tech writers

Looking for some advice/tips on becoming a technical writer. I have a graduate
certificate in journalism from UTS and have written short articles for 'The
Australian'.  I currently work in the area of research/knowledge management and
in the course of my roles have written business stategy documents/proposals
that have been mainly finance and technology related.

I am interested in broadening my skills to becoming a full time technical
writer and would like your thoughts/suggestions on how to best go about doing
this and getting that first job as a technical writer!

Thanks

Shumona