atw: Re: austechwriter Digest V11 #94

  • From: "martin.wojczys" <martin.wojczys@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 20:31:28 +1000

Hi Bob Trussler,

Those examples of the falling standard of grammar remind me of this antelope:
http://imgur.com/nsOpa

Regards,

Martin Wojczys

Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 06:45:03 +1000
Subject: This does not make sense
From: Bob Trussler &lt;bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx&gt;

We all moan about the falling standards in grammar these days, but
something strange is happening. Forget the standards, as some things don’t
even make sense.
An ABC TV newsreader said “a high day of drama”.
Suely, it should be “a day of high drama”? Maybe the writer was a bit high
when they wrote this.

Later in the same news broadcast, we were told about thieves in Cannes who
stole “the safe in a hotel room packed with jewels”.
Why would anyone steal the safe when the room was packed with jewels? Now
I am really confused.

Then I relaxed with some good news as I read about “a suspected boat of 83
asylum seekers …”
At least the asylum seekers had been accepted as genuine and only the boat
was a suspect. I am still wondering what would the boat be suspected
of. Maybe
someone suspected that it was a boat but wasn’t sure.

Bob Trussler