atw: Re: XP - Word bookmark hyperlinks don't work in textbox

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:08:35 +1000 (EST)

Need to know a bit more to really analyze the problem, Alex (Noon).

If, as you say, it is a hyperlink, as in {HYPERLINK \L "_TOC49658086"}, which
Word created automatically for you, then this could well be the cause of your
problem.

Rather, it should be a reference (REF) or page reference (PAGEREF) code to the
name of the bookmark, which you have manually inserted by using Insert > Field

REF (or PAGEREF) bookmarkname, where the example bookmarkname is the name of
your bookmarked item.  This will almost certainly work properly.

To bookmark an item, you should first make bookmarks visible (Tools > Options >
View (Tab), select Bookmarks), then click OK.  Now locate the item that you
want
bookmarked.  To remove the existing hyperlink, select the item, go Insert >
Bookmark to display the Bookmark dialog, type a name for your bookmark, then
select and copy its name to the system clipboard with Ctrl+C, before pressing
Enter or clicking OK.

Now you can return to wherever you want the cross reference to be, go Insert >
Field > ref (or pageref) paste (Ctrl+V) your new bookmark name and press Enter.

You will now have a reliable, accurate, manually entered bookmark reference or
page reference field that will not exhibit the problems of the automated cross
reference hyperlinks generated by Word.

To update these cross references at any time, simply select the text and press
F9 or right-click and select Update Field from the pop-up menu that displays.

Hope that helps.

Michael Granat
Write Ideas
(Done in a rush - E&OE)