atw: Re: Windows-free at last.

  • From: Evan Read <eread@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 09:39:32 +0800

Windows and Mac OS shouldn't require a lot more, provided unnecessary drivers
are not installed.  For example, Mac OS X
10.5 installed 3.1 GB of printer drivers by default. It meant that all
supported printers would would out of the box, but
wasted space.

In the new Mac OS X 10.6, the default is to not install these drivers.  When
you connect a printer now, you can run Software
Update (like Windows Update) and the required driver is pulled off the
internet.  I believe that Windows 7 is the same when
compared to Windows Vista.  In the case of Windows 7, these and other examples
of disk space efficiency are designed to
make Windows 7 more attractive to the Netbook market.

Unlikely you'd get down to 4GB though.

Evan.

On Thu Nov  5 11:07 , Write Ideas <writeideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> sent: