atw: Re: Windows-free at last.

  • From: Write Ideas <writeideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 10:33:54 +1100

One of the really nice things about Ubuntu, Rebecca (C) is that you can
get away quite nicely with a half gigabyte of RAM (384Mb is the
suggested minimum) and 8 Gb of disk space.

So, with background processes that run to about 50Kb instead of several
Mb like WinDoze, any reasonably recent PC or laptop runs like a rocket
with it, meaning you can resurrect older equipment for a performance
boost simply impossible with any version of WinDoze ever produced.

Grab yourself a secondhand ex government PC for a couple of hundred
bucks (or a working one left out on the nature strip due to Vista - a
mate found one and a Mac yesterday) and you're off and running for next
to nothing!

You can even boot and install Ubuntu on an Intel architecture PC from
the Ubuntu install CD .iso image off of a USB key.

Quite a hoot really.

Cheers,

Micky G.

Write Ideas