atw: Re: Usability redux: Acrobat 7 issues

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 08:25:14 +1000 (EST)

Hi Bede.

Acrobat 7 pro with Word 2002 on the Windows Jesus Edition
(XP = Greek for Christos) has been absolutely marvellous...
since running the Acrobat update tool (in the Acrobat
Preferences dialog - press Ctrl+K then select Updates -
second last option).

Before that, it was doing really flaky things, including
blowing Word away in mid distill from the PDF maker macro.

If you are in a locked down / SOE desktop environment like
where I am right now, you'll need to ask a friendly system
administrator to log in and pull down the updates for you
as these require local administrator privileges to run.

In all my years of Acrobat use, it has never run right
straight out of the box on Windows (being highly service
pack dependent) su run the Acrobat patches first, restart
the PC and see how you go from there.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Michael Granat
Write Ideas

Quoting SUNTER Bede <Bede_SUNTER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> We've just had Word 2003 and Acrobat 7 visited upon us ...
>
> I picked this up, from Margaret's post (OT: Microsoft and usability, Fri
> 3/6/2005 4:12 PM):=20
>
> "By way of example, I cite the case of my teenage son (highly
> computer/IT=20
> literate, but not usually a big word user).=20
> The other night he was trying to convert a word document to pdf using
> pdfmaker=20
> keeping the bookmark/TOC levels intact (instead of having the
> indentation of=20
> level 1 headings randomly change half way through the document). "
>
> My PDFs are showing a similar dysfunctionality:=20
> Level 1 headings in the bookmarks pane change indentation after the
> first level 1.=20
> Is this a known problem?
> More to the point, is there a fix?
>
> Another issue along the lines of "Please don't fix what ain't broken" is
> that you used to be able (in version 5) to set an opening page and
> opening state (eg "Open at page 5 with bookmarks and at Fit width") in
> the conversion set-up. In version 7 you have to set this after the PDF
> is made.
>
> While I'm at it, are there any other new "features" of Acrobat 7 I
> should know about?
>
> All input gratefully received.
>
> Bede

<snip>

Michael Granat
Write Ideas*
Carnegie, Victoria, Australia.
E-mail:         megranat@xxxxxxxx

*Trading As business #0828673K
Registered (1987) Corporate Affairs Victoria

Plain English Technical Communication.
Advertising Copywriting.
Business Writing.
Web & Direct Marketing Content Writing.