atw: Re: US/Aus English [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:16:13 +1000

Hi fellow Austechwriters.

A few aspects of this occurred to me last night, which I
thought could prove useful.

Aussie: Anticlockwise.
Merkin: Counterclockwise.
Aussie: un (as a prefix)
Merkin: non- (with the hyphen as a prefix)
"non-usually" enough (argh! just kidding) this is starting
to infest Aussie Feral Government speak too.)

The issue of the flammable / inflammable confusion comes
to mind here, which I think Merkins (and maybe we also now)
resolve with flammable / non-flammable.

Or am I simply being inflammtory?  ;-)
(No, I don't know the Merkin alternative for that one.)

Also, as I mentioned a while ago to this list, Merkin
English still uses the old Germanic word endings / suffixes
of er (as in theater) instead of the latter day French
influenced word endings of re (as in theatre).  This is
because, when the Merkins dumped their tea in Boston Harbor
(note: not Harbour) and eschewed all things English, they
cut themselves off from the global development of English
language and measures.  This is why they persist with 16th
century Queen Anne gallons (3.79 liters - not "litres")
rather than the later Imperial gallon (4.54609 litres).

Other such examples abound, but I have neither the time nor
the energy to expand on these here, in this forum, just at
the moment.

In fact, if I am not mistaken, I recall that Merkin English
rarely uses "neither / nor" any more. They tend to take the
longest possible route.

HTH.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael E. Granat
Qualified Good Tech Writer Dude
Fellowship Of The Ring Of Tech Writers, Yeah Baby!
T/as Write Ideas
E-mail: mailto:writeideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: <http://www.writeideas.com.au/>
Without Prejudice.