atw: Re: The 2011 Index of Economic Freedom ...

  • From: Robert Levy <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 17:52:03 -0500

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks as though this is a ranking of "economic
freedom," not of prosperity or of opportunity in the common sense of the word.

That is, it's opportunity for businesses to do what they want without
interference from government, but not opportunity for a person to get a job or
get ahead.

I'm not commenting on whether economic freedom correlates with prosperity or
personal opportunity. I'm just pointing out that the index is only making a
claim about economic freedom.

Unless I got it all wrong, of course.

rwl