atw: Re: Storing a Macro

  • From: Suzy <SuzyDavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 01:50:54 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Jasmine

In addition to storing the template with the macros in the
...\Microsoft\Word\Startup directory as Rhonda describes - which
will always load when Microsoft Word starts up, you can save the
template in other locations and load/unload it when you need to.

The startup directory is usually the most useful place to store it
- but sometimes automatically loaded templates take up too much
screen real estate, and you want to minimise the clutter.

If you don't want the macros to load each time you can, as an
alternative, store the template with the macros in the
...\Microsoft\Word\Addins folder - or any folder actually.

To load and unload the Addin, in 2003 go to Tools>Templates and
Addins and click the [Add] button - navigate to the directory
where you stored it, such as the Addins directory, and click ok.

(You may get a 'template not found' error message, if so copy the
attached template path - store it somewhere you can find it again
if necessary -  and then replace it with "Normal".  You'll be able
to make changes to the addins once you have done that.)

If you are using Word 2007 there is a button called 'Document
Templates' on under the Developer tab on the Ribbon (second from
the end).  If you can't see the Developer tab, go to your Word
Office button > Word Options > Popular and check "Show Developer
tab in Ribbon".  Click OK.

You'll notice that it is now in the Addins list, and an author can
open this dialogue and load the Addin by ticking it's checkbox,
and unload it by unticking.

When an addin is stored in the Startup folder you will find that
it may fail to load after Word has crashed.  Authors just need to
open the Templates and Addins dialogue and tick the box next tot
he addin to reload it.  Once it's ticked, it will re-load each
when Word start until the next crash.

regards
Suzy