atw: Re: Shocking truth about macros

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 17:14:27 +1100

Dear Craig (Hadden),

In my experience (across Word versions) I beg to differ.

Where a Word macro has been looking for something named something that
changes to something else in another version, it all falls over.

I have seen it happen.  I have seen others have it happen.

I neither pretend nor want to be a Visual BASIC programmer.  I record
Macros, I test them, I edit them and I optimize them as needed.  When they
fail between Word versions, I take a reasonably well informed peek at the
code and look at what has brought the macros unstuck.  In some cases, I
might not be 100% correct (for everyone) but I can only relate my experiences.

One of the fascinating (and often frustrating) things about Word is that
few people use it the same way and almost everyone has different
experiences with it, depending on legacy documents in use, the installed
flavour / service pack and upgrade or full install of Windows and Word and
even the file name.  (Did you know that Word can make a VB macro-proof
document through its dodgy long file name support including illegal
characters in a file name, when it automatically captures, suggests and
saves the first line of text or the first document properties field as a
file name?  I've seen it happen to another writer.)

You've had your experiences with the product and I have had mine (about 14
years of them, since the 5.1 blue screen version for MS-DOS).

How about you say, "in my experienced this has not happened", rather than
presuming to tell us that nobody else could possibly experience such things.

In the infinitely variable world that is working with software, unexpected
and even seemingly inexplicable things can and do happen.  I was simply
relating those that have, to me in the real world, in an effort to assist a
colleague.

What happens in the real world versus the ideal (how it should work) world,
differ more often than they concur.

Please give me some credit for talking from experience rather than shooting
from the hip.

Cheers,

Michael Granat
Write Ideas