atw: Re: Restarting footnote numbering in a FrameMaker document

  • From: James Hunt <jameshunt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 18:21:57 +1000

How long are the sections? If footnote numbering by section were possible and
you had two or more sections on one page, you could end up with two or more
footnote 1's at the bottom of that page. That would look quite odd. It would
also be necessary to read the document carefully to find these multiple 1's,
and do something about them. I am uncomfortable with the idea of an
auto-formatting option that fails unpredictably in some content-dependent
manner, and subsequently requires manual intervention.

In FM, footnote numbering can be restarted on each page, using

Format>Document>Numbering>Footnote (tab) and selecting "Start Over on Each
Page" (radio button).

This option really is the best: it avoids the multiple 1's problem, and keeps
the footnote numbers low and thus easier for the readers to scan.

=================================

On 10 Jul 2011, at 1:14 PM, Geoffrey Marnell wrote:

> Hi austechies
>
> I have a document with a number of sections in it. I want the footnotes to
> start afresh at 1 with every new section. Has anyone worked out how to do
> this? (It seems that you can't apply a style with customised auto-numbering
> to a footnote.)
>
> NOTE: I don't want to turn each section into a separate document and set
> footnote numbering properties in a book file. I want sections to run into
> each other, with some possibly starting on the same page as the previous
> section finishes.
>
> Cheers
>

> Geoffrey Marnell
> Principal Consultant
> Abelard Consulting Pty Ltd
> T: +61 3 9596 3456
> F: +61 3 9596 3625
> M: 0419 574 668
> W: www.abelard.com.au
> Skype: geoffrey.marnell

James Hunt
Why I use a Macintosh: And those who look through the Windows® see dimly...
(Eccl 12:3)