atw: Re: Numbering in embedded material

  • From: Neil Maloney <maloneyn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 08:31:58 +1000

 Hello Daryl,

Yes, IncludeText is a bit limited, you may want to use Insert -- File together with a Bookmark range, but doing that won't let you update the contents in the master document after they have changed in the subordinate documents, and that may not be what you want. If not, read on ...

I typically (when I have a client with a special need and so use IncludeText in a document) have the subordinate documents in the same directory (folder) as the master document. That way no directory (path) details are required, just the filename. If, however, you want to put the subordinate documents in a sub-directory, called for example "Source Documents", then the format to use, without having to put in the full directory details is:

INCLUDETEXT  "./Source Documents/MyDocument.doc"  \* MERGEFORMAT

Note especially the dot at the beginning, this is DOS talk for "current directory", and that the directory paths are forward slashes instead of back slashes.

If the source documents are in a higher level directory, use two dots (not two dogs, although you're probably going barking mad with this problem) for each higher level directory, e.g. for one level higher up, the full field would be:

INCLUDETEXT  "../Source Documents/MyDocument.doc"  \* MERGEFORMAT

And if they are in a directory that is two directory levels higher, it would be:

INCLUDETEXT  "../../Source Documents/MyDocument.doc"  \* MERGEFORMAT

Having said all of that, the directory paths are indeed "absolute", in that if you change the location of the source document, then Microsoft Word will no longer know where it is and an error! message will display when the field is updated. That is why I have a preference for lumping them all in the same directory.

If the source documents are on a different drive, the full directory path should be used.

Finally, with the formatting ... the source documents need to be properly formatted. The Heading 1 styles (for example) do not need to be the same font size or type, and do not need to have the same margin indent spacing and tabs, as the Heading 1 style in the master document, but they do need to be in a "Heading 1" style and that should then transfer across automatically. I have spent a few minutes trying to replicate the situation you've described, where the headings do not import / number correctly, and have failed gloriously in getting them to break in the way you describe, or in any other way. The only thing I can think of is that the Headings are manually numbered in the sub-documents, is that the case? If so, the heading style needs to be changed in the source documents to automatic heading numbering. If you want to send the documents to me (or parts thereof) I'll happily have a look from here at what is going on.

Cheers,
Neil.

On 3/09/2010 6:38 AM, Daryl Colquhoun wrote:
Hi all -- here's a problem I'm having in Word 2003. I want to embed
documents, so I have a document called M.doc and inside it, I want to
pull in the documents a.rtf and b.rtf. So I've tried using includetext
fields. There are two problems.

Problem 1. I have to use a full absolute path, not a relative one.

Problem 2. The numbering inside the subdocument doesn't fit into the overall numbering scheme. For example, say M.doc goes like this
1. Introduction [Heading 1]
2. Monkeys [Heading 1]
{Now embed a.rtf}
1. Crocodiles [Heading 1] ,
1.1 Alligators [Heading 2]
{end of a.rtf}{Now embed b.rtf}
1. Frogs [Heading 1]
{end of b.rtf}
I want the Crocodiles and Frogs paras to be numbered as 3 and 4 and the Alligators para to be 3.1.

Who can suggest the magic options that will fix these? Ideally, I change M.doc only and not the subdocuments.
I've even tried Master and sub-document feature, with no luck.
Thanks, everyone ... Daryl.

Emails to this address are automatically deleted as an anti-spam measure.

To contact the list administrator, send a message to austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx