atw: Re: Notepad

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:24:11 +1100

Not as far as I am aware Erica (Ferrigno).

A TXT file is just an ASCII file that can be read by almost any software
application and is not in any way proprietary to Microsloth or restricted
to use by the Notepad text processor application.

The only issue you might have is that the memory handling and functionality
of Notepad are so poor, being an old fashioned DOS application, that
Windows will insist that it is opened by a more capable / modern
application such as Write or Wordpad, if you wish to re-display or continue
working on it.

Makes no real difference.  ASCII is ASCII and text is text.

Just remember to keep the file size manageable if you want to transfer it
using floppy disks, but then you can always compress the file size with an
archiver such as LHA or ZIP, before sending it anywhere, in any case.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Michael Granat
Write Ideas

At 15:58 27/2/2004, you wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>Does anyone know whether there are any restrictions to the number of
>characters allowed per row in a notepad file? Are there any other
>restrictions e.g. size of file?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Erica Ferrigno
>Technical Communicator - Communications Team
>
>CPA Software Solutions
>PO Box Q263
>Sydney  NSW  1230
>Australia
>
>Tel: +612 9993 3000
>Direct dial: +612 9993 3025
>Fax: +612 9299 1444
>E-mail: eferrigno@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Michael Granat -- Write Ideas*

Plain English Technical Communication.
Advertising Copywriting.
Business Writing.

E-mail:         writeideas@xxxxxxxx
Web Site:               <http://home.pacific.net.au/~megranat/>

*Trading As business #0828673K
  Registered (1987) Corporate Affairs Victoria, Australia.

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

E & OE