atw: Re: Groktalks for tech writers [On behalf of Stuart]

  • From: Craig Hadden <craig_john_hadden@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: atw <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:00:21 +1000 (EST)

[This is an "unmangled" copy of Stuart Burnfield's
most recent post -- Craig.]

Craig said:
> ... If someone can show you ways to overcome some
> of the stumbling blocks that users often face, that
> might only take 10 minutes. Then, the audience
> says, "If only I'd known those little gems
> earlier!" and their productivity takes a huge leap.

Exactly. To use Snakes and Ladders as an analogy, a
groktalk should give the audience two or three
'ladders' to climb, rather than making them sprint
through as many squares as possibles in the ten
minutes.

> > I don't think "familiar concept, different name"
> > needs to be in a groktalk.
>
> 10 minutes is _so_ little, you really can't cover
> much. So to me, it would be _ideal_ to cover the
> differences in terminology, otherwise the audience
> "doesn't know that in fact they know" the concept.

But these don't need to be discussed or explained,
only noted:

"The Glossary feature is called AutoText.
Text selection is called Block.
The Transfer menu is called File.
..."

A cheat sheet or page of notes would handle these
better and wouldn't soak up any face-to-face time.

> > Unfamiliar concepts are definitely worth covering.
>
> Far too hard in 10 minutes, I reckon, unless it's
> just a matter of saying "go and look this topic
> up in the User Guide".

But we're using this talk to avoid the listener having
to read a whole chapter in the User Guide. There must
be some key "what" and "why" concepts that can be
passed on so that they only have to go to the user
guide for the "how".

If I can't get across the basic idea of, say,
FrameMaker generated lists, templates and master
pages in three minutes each to an audience of
competent Word users (remaining minute reserved for
thunderous applause), I'll tear up my Diploma of Pure
and Applied Blowhardiness.

> > You won't master any of these things in a brief
> > talk, but having grokked or grasped them...
>
> I think that's the problem with Steve (and
> Microsoft) having used a geeky term. Wikipedia says
> the word means "to understand completely" (from the
> Martian for "to drink" ?- to become one with), not
> just "to get a grasp of" as you suggest.

Well, indeed, but what the term means to fictional
Martians is beside the point. In the context of
a 'groktalk' I'm asserting that grokking
means "grasping the meaning of" or "insight leading
to deep understanding". If any fictional
Martian* wants to subscribe to the list and challenge
my definition... flame on, Mars boy!

Cheers

Stuart

* And I mean a _real_ fictional Martian, not just the
  pretend ones that plague our list from time to time
  (no names--you know who I mean)