atw: Re: Evolving language and 'munted'

  • From: Dave Reynolds <dave.reynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 12:48:47 +1200

Hi (from a part of Christchurch that is not munted!)

When I first heard that word on TV and radio after the quakes, I was sure I'd heard it before.  I reckon my son and his mates brought it home from school - this would have been mid-late 90s.  They used it as a synonym for "stuffed", "broken" etc.  At the time we thought it was OK, and knew nothing of its other meanings.  I don't recall hearing it used much recently, so I guess it fell out of usage for a while, but came back with a vengeance after the quake.

Cheers

Dave

Lana Brindley wrote, on 10/08/2011 11:20 a.m.:
"Munted" was a standard term for my group of friends growing up in
rural Queensland in the late 80's/early 90's. Not sure whether that
says more about me knowing weird colloquialisms, or NZ being a decade
or two behind the times ;)

On 10 August 2011 08:49,  <deanea@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this list and have been 'listening' to the conversation about
language change.

I have just returned to Sydney from 4 days in Christchurch and have been
amazed there at the new life poured into the word 'munted'. (I'll leave you
to look it up). It seems to appear at least once in every conversation.
Buildings, roads, jobs, gardens... so much is 'munted' as a result of the
earthquakes.

A few words of introduction... I've been working in document/info
design/tech writing since the early 90's - mining, metals processing, road
safety, health and now animal health. Embarking on my last subject of Grad
Dip Info Design and Christchurch Polytech - it's been a fabulous and robust
learning experience for me.

Look forward to contributing and learning from this list.

Anne Deane

--
Dave Reynolds
Senior Technical Author