atw: Re: Creating an alias for a style in Word

  • From: "Michael Edward Granat" <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 11:17:16 +1100 (EST)

Hi Mark (K)

Please excuse my delay in responding to this one.
(I have been so flat out.)

Using Ctrl+Shift+S to select the style field in the tool bar (depending on
the tool bar being displayed at the time) is one I've long used for
creating new style names for selected paragraphs and re-applying or
updating styles to selected paragraphs, with much success, except
in Word 2003, which often replaces the style name with "char".

That said, if the style name is present in that field, or you are happy
to use the up or down cursor arrows from within that field to browse
to the style name (a list of styles pops up when you do so) that you
are after, you can use Ctrl+C to copy that selected style name into
the Windows paste buffer, then as you select paragraphs
that you want to change to the copied style name, press Ctrl+Shift+S
to re-select the style field, then Ctrl+V to paste the style name you
want into that field, then press Enter.  Word will either change the
selected paragraph to that style for you or, if you have selected a
paragraph of the style name you want, will ask you to update or
restore the style in question.
(Much quicker to do than the above seems to indicate.)

Another of my favourite style imposition tricks is to select the
paragraph marker of the style you want and either paste over or
paste before the style you want to overwrite / replace.
(You need to make the paragraph markers visible to do this and must
use the actual "P" shaped marker hard carriage returns, not the curved
arrow soft carriage returns.)

Remember that Word is paragraph based Word processor, not an object
based destop publishing tool, so it embeds all of its style information for
a paragraph in the paragraph end itself.  Copying and pasting / changing
paragraph markers in Word, therefore, gives you considerable control
over paragraph styles.

With that in mind, you can also use the find / replace tool in Word to
replace a paragraph marker (^p in Word parlance) of one style with
the paragraph marker of another style.  Great for making fast, global
changes throughout a document file.  But handle with care.
(If you go too far, you can always press Escape to close the replace
dialog, then press Ctrl+Z to undo - or Ctrl+Y to redo, should you
change your mind or wish to observe / check the paragraph changes.)

Hope that helps.

Michael Granat
Write Ideas
www.writeideas.com.au

From: mkofler@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:57:38 +0800
Here is something I came across that in the techwr-l archives I seemed to
have
missed in my long years of using Word. I don't think it is documented, at
least
not in the Word 2003 Help. Seems an old dog can always learn new tricks...

This is from:
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/archives/0405/techwhirl-0405-00015.html:

"I prefer to apply styles by pressing Ctrl+Shift+S, then typing the style
name
and pressing Enter.

I don't want to have to type "Heading 3," so I create an alias by appending a
comma and "h3" to the existing style name in the style definition dialog box.

Word displays it the same way in the style selection drop-down list:

Heading 3, h3

Once this is set up, I can press Ctrl+Shift+S, type h3, and press Enter to
assign the Heading 3 style to the current paragraph..."

Anyone else have any useful or obscure Word tricks to share?
Cheers Mark