atw: Re: Choosing your browser (WAS: MSWord 2003 with 64-bit Windows 7)

  • From: "Lewington, Warren J" <warren.lewington.ext@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 13:31:15 +1000

I've been using Chrome and Firefox for a while now. I like Chrome - its so
lean. I also now use Safari on my Mac, and that works well. Enough. I have to
use IE at various corporate clients. I am not impressed anymore. I use Firefox
because I don't like IE.

I think the problems related to crashing and operation are also affected by the
widgets and scripts used on websites. CMS technologies and the php scripting
can also be a problem too in some respects. The number of tabs you have open
for home pages also dramatically affects the performance in my experience. I
think there is an almost exponential fall in performance the more things you
have opening at once with these browsers.

My recent experiences with Firefox have been crashes related to the plug-ins. I
have to have QuickTime for access to uni stuff. It is slow. Windows really
doesn't do plug-ins well for any browser. With my Apple, my most surprising
comment (given my use amounts to less than a week) is that it all just seems to
work. And Adobe Flash (due to Adobe's problems with software updates) is a
constant pain in the a$#e. I now rarely update Flash, it is so unreliable.

I had to do a treatise on scenes in "Amelie." On my windows machine the sub
titles didn't work. Not an issue, I understand some French (Australian and real
French) but the course is about camera work, so I don't need sound and words.
Well, last night I did need 100% accuracy to understand the audio narrative
about a part of the movie to tie some argument together. I couldn't do that on
windows because the software just wouldn't.

On the Mac, I decided to try the DVD player out before disrupting people
watching the TV to see the subtitles. Worked, subtitles worked, I could stop
and start, fast forward, step frames backwards. All that stuff. Windows? Only
when I swore nicely at it and held my breath. Dunno.

Software development isn't in the realms of rocket science anymore. It can't be
that hard to get the basics to work, like the fundamentals, the bread and
butter; surely?

Regards,
Warren