atw: [OT] Writing for multiple Englishes: was writing for Aus audiences

  • From: Gary Stevens <gstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: " Austechwriter" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 16:29:20 +1000

I'm sure the world is full of people of breath-taking ignorance, and
Australians are certainly capable of producing world-class idiots. Recall
that couple on the north coast flying a Nazi flag a few months ago who
claimed never to have heard of Hitler? And I heard Dr Karl mention on the
ABC that he has met numerous Aussies who did not know who Einstein was.

My own experiences have mainly been with quite highly educated Americans.
I spent a year teaching at a major US university, and kept being surprised
by the sort of questions I got from  people with so many letters after
their names that they needed business cards the size of beach towels. One
I sometimes got was "Do Aussies celebrate Independence Day?" Or, recently,
I was asked to suggest a prize for an international essay competition
being run from the US. The organiser was in a bit of a flap, worrying how
to get prizes to overseas winners. I suggested an Amazon gift certificate,
as something trivially easy to get to to the recipient, and one usable
anywhere in the  world (pretty much). My correspondent was a bit taken
aback: he had assumed that Amazon was a purely American affair.

Canadians, to the contrary, seem much more worldly-wise.

Garry

Please consider our environment before printing this email.

WARNING - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in
error, please delete and inform us by return email. Because emails and
attachments may be interfered with, may contain computer viruses or other
defects and may not be successfully replicated on other systems, you must be
cautious. Westpac cannot guarantee that what you receive is what we sent. If
you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email by Westpac, please
contact us immediately.

It is also important to check for viruses and defects before opening or using
attachments. Westpac's liability is limited to resupplying any affected
attachments.

This email and its attachments are not intended to constitute any form of
financial advice or recommendation of, or an offer to buy or offer to sell, any
security or other financial product. We recommend that you seek your own
independent legal or financial advice before proceeding with any investment
decision.

Westpac Institutional Bank is a division of Westpac Banking Corporation, a
company registered in New South Wales in Australia under the Corporations Act
2001 (Cth). Westpac is authorised and regulated in the United Kingdom by the
Financial Services Authority and is registered at Cardiff in the United Kingdom
as Branch No. BR 106. Westpac operates in the United States of America as a
federally chartered branch, regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the
Currency.

Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141.