atw: Re: [OT] Writing for multiple Englishes: was writing for Aus audience

  • From: "Peter Martin" <peter.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jackson Hewitt <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 02:45:41 -0400

Jackson Hewitt:
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:22:31 +0800,  you wrote:
> On that note?
>
> While in Rome last year I went on a guided tour of The
> Colosseum, at the end of the tour an American asked if
> they had based the design of this Colosseum on the
> Stadiums ?back home?.
>
> This was shortly after she said (while we were
> discussing different people?s accents) how she would
> love to be in my shoes for a day to hear what her
> voice sounds like as she ?doesn?t have an accent?.

Nearby to the same site, no guided tour...   30 years
ago.....  First visit to the Foro Romano.....    lapping up
the atmosphere of history, and working out little bits of
What Happened Where to Whom....

Nice quiet sunny morning.   That is, until a voice rang out
that could have been heard in the Vatican:

"Myy Gaard ! "

"This is IT ?"

" It's just a bunch of 'ole raaaarcks !"

Ah, the atmosphere. ....   ah the various justifications
for homicide....

--Peter M
PS: At least there's one point in her favour...
It is alleged that 30% of US Congressmen do not have a
passport.   Why do I think that might be accurate ?