atw: OT: Presenting The Lies And Distortions of Al-Jazeera

  • From: "George Mena" <George.Mena@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austechwriter (E-mail)" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:33:40 -0800

Hi folks:

And now, for your reading pleasure, please follow the bouncing ball as =
we read about the lies and distortions that Al-Jazeera calls the news:

Following is the text of my letter as reader feedback on a story that =
appears on Al-Jazeera's web site.

=3D=3D=3DBegin My Reader Feedback=3D=3D=3D

Hello,

Quite a bit of selective editing on your part went into the story about =
KBR's awarding an oil tender to an Israeli oil marketing company, I see.

From your story at this URL
 =
<http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/14002292-509C-4896-951D-DAE550DFB=
88F.htm>

I see you quote the USA's Energy Information Administration (EIA) as =
follows:

=3D=3D=3DBegin Al-Jazeera's Quoted EIA Web Page On Israel=3D=3D=3D
Not much oil
According to the Energy Information Administration (EIA), a statistical =
agency of the US Department of Energy, Israel produces almost no oil and =
imports nearly all its oil needs (around 237,000 barrels a day in 2002). =
Traditionally, major oil import sources have included Egypt, the North =
Sea, West Africa and Mexico.
In recent years, however, Israel has stepped up its imports from Russia =
and the Caspian region and now reportedly gets most of its oil from =
former Soviet states.=20
Information provided by the EIA states that in April 2003, there was =
some discussion of "reopening" the old oil pipeline from Mosul in =
Northern Iraq to the Israeli port of Haifa on its northern Mediterranean =
coast.=20
The line, which was built in the 1930s, carried 100,000 barrels a day at =
its peak, but has been closed since Israel's establishment in 1948.
=3D=3D=3DEnd Al-Jazeera's Quoted EIA Web Page On Israel=3D=3D=3D

But what you didn't say was what the rest of the last paragraph in this =
story said!

Here now is what the entire paragraph from the EIA web page on Israel =
ACTUALLY says!

<http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/israel.html>

=3D=3D=3DBegin Actual Text of EIA Web Page on Israel=3D=3D=3D
In April 2003, there was some discussion of "reopening" the old oil =
pipeline from Mosul in northern Iraq to Haifa. The line, which was built =
in the 1930s, carried 100,000 bbl/d at its peak, but has been closed =
since Israel's establishment in 1948. Today, however the Mosul-Haifa =
pipeline is in extremely poor condition (the Iraqi section is completely =
rusted and the Jordanian section was sold as scrap metal several years =
ago), and reportedly would require hundreds of millions of dollars to =
repair/rebuild, even if this were politically feasible. Along those =
lines, Jordan has strongly denied any interest in rebuilding this =
pipeline at the present time, stating that "the pipeline no longer =
exists in Jordanian territory."=20
=3D=3D=3DEnd Actual Text of EIA Web Page on Israel=3D=3D=3D

And yet, you include a picture of pipes in an oil refinery and add the =
caption "A pipeline linking Mosul to Haifa is to be reopened."

 <<ole0.bmp>>=20
A pipeline linking Mosul to Haifa=20
is to be reopened=20

You bozos sure like to spread lies and disinformation so that there will =
never be peace in the Middle East, don't you?

In the journalistic light of day, it can now be safely proven that =
al-Jazeera is worthless as an international news channel. And I would =
NOT be surprised at all if it were one day learned that al-Jazeera is =
also owned by Osama bin Laden.

Thank you for proving to me what a fraud al-Jazeera really and truly is!

=3D=3D=3DEnd My Reader Feedback=3D=3D=3D

Moral of the story: Former Washington Post executive editor Ben Bradlee =
was very right when he declared in 1978 that "We (meaning the print =
media) don't print the truth. We print what we know; what other people =
tell us. So we print lies."

Bradlee said this at San Francisco State University in the spring of =
1978. I know firsthand he said it because he was speaking on campus in =
one of my journalism classes way back then -- and I was actually present =
at the lecture!

bone Appetite!

George Mena
Sr. Technical Writer
ESS Technology, Inc.
48401 Fremont Blvd.
Fremont, CA USA 94538
510-492-1763
e-mail: George.Mena@xxxxxxxxxxx
"America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our =
country." -- President George W. Bush, State of the Union address, =
January 20, 2004
"Terrorism must be fought resolutely wherever it appears. ...no just =
cause can be advanced by terror." -- UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, =
September 11, 2001

-- Type: image/bmp
-- File: ole0.bmp
-- Desc: ole0.bmp