atw: O.T. Pommy (was Re: O.T. "Melbourne ranked world's top city")

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 14:23:11 +1100

You might well be right due to the word's uncertain origins, Stuart (lecky),

 From the Collins English Dictionary, Australian (big, chunky, hardcover)
edition:

pommy n., pl. -mies. (sometimes cap.) Slang. a mildly offensive word used
by Australians and New Zealanders for an English person.  Sometimes
shortened to pom. [C20: of uncertain origin. Among a number of explanations
are: (1) based on a blend of IMMIGRANT and POMEGRANATE (alluding to the red
cheeks of the English immigrants) (2) from the abbreviation POME, Prisoner
of Mother England (referring to convicts)]"

Cheers,

Michael Granat
Write Ideas

At 14:12 6/2/2004, you wrote:
>At 01:58 PM 6/02/04 +1100, you wrote:
> >the words /
> >terms being derived from the acronym POME - or Prisoner Of Mother England.
>
>I was led to believe that it was derived from POHM (Property Of His
>Majesty) which was emblazoned upon the clothing that they were given.
>Stuart Lecky, Project Manager
>HCi               Better communications Better Management
>(61-2) 9232 6669 (ph)                            http://www.hci.com.au
>(61-2) 9232 1002 (fax)           GPO Box 4846 Sydney 2001  Australia
E&OE