atw: No-one uses the help guide anyway!

  • From: "LIVERANI Petra" <Petra_LIVERANI@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:57:12 +1100

<snip>"In our experience, no-one actually uses the online Help anyway!"</=
snip>

Yes, I wonder about the value of creating help guides that people aren't =
going to use. I produced a online help for a system that people had 2/3 d=
ay training on. The training involved presenting to the students with no =
use of the help guide (which hadn't been produced at that stage anyway). =
Later two other students were to get training on the system in only an ho=
ur which occurred within a 3 day training period on all kinds of things. =
I decided to just give them the online help and some exercises and let th=
em work through them. I thought it would be a good test to see how good t=
he help was and also it gave them a break from being talked at. It seemed=
=20pretty successful considering how limited their time was. I think trai=
ning people by having them have read the online help will encourage them =
to use it in the future.

Regards,
Petra